what do you do when your toddler throws a fit while your at a resturaunt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I take her outside. It's funny, that's been my solution to get her to calm down since she was VERY young - no matter where we are! When she was a baby and would cry her head off at home, we had a special tree outside that I'd walk her to. She'd touch the bark & leaves and somehow it calmed her down instantly. Nowadays, I take her outside and explain her she needs to act.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 10:43 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• turn the highchair around backwards. no one acting like that is allowed to sit at my table. lol.
    Anonymous

• usually if she is at that point then my husband has to take her outside. if shes misbehaving so badly and so upset that she is misbehaving in public (she is very well behaved in public, not in the house) than i get too frustrated to deal so he takes her out and talks to her and then she'll calm down
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I agree with the first poster, we (usually my husband) takes my daughter outside. Now that she is 3 we explain proper behaviour. When she was younger we would just walk her around & she usually calmed down and we could go back in & finish our dinner.
    Slimfred

Answer by Slimfred at 10:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• WE TAKE HIM TO THE CAR AND TALK TO HIM BUT IF HE STILL BEHAVES BAD WE JUST LEAVE. I REALLY GET MAD WHEN HE DOES THAT IN PUBLIC SO I REALLY LET HIM TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM
    peoso

Answer by peoso at 10:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• MommyDumDum WE had a 'special tree' TOO!! lol I thought it was so weird how well it worked but I LOVED that tree lol.

He doesnt usually misbehave unless he is really tired but when he does we speak quietly to him at first explaining that he needs to stop acting that way and if that doesn't work I take him to the restroom and get to his level and explain that we are going to wash our hands and face and wash off our bad attitude. Since he is obssessed with washing hands this usually distracts him enough to forget about his attitude problem and by the time he's done cleaning up he is ready to act right. But before we leave the restroom I ask "Now how do we behave?" and he says "Nice Nice!" and walks proud back to the table. So far it's worked everytime
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I will let her sit in my lap, and if that does not calm her down I will take her outside or even to the car depending on how bad her fit is.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• What I do doesn't work. Thank you for the post! I needed the advice.God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Remove him from the dining area, either take him to the bathroom or outside and let him know that behavior is not acceptable and he will not be able to go out with you if his bad behavior continues. And before you go out tell him what you expect. How you want him to sit, and behave and not yell. After a couple times he'll hopefully chill out and behave but you must be consistent.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 12:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I give them something out of my purse or the jellys lol. If that doesn't work I take them outside until they calm down. Or leave.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 3:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2009