• In the Spotlight:

I have a question can you help me?

Are all the Bibles the same in all denominations? Do they all have the first, and second testament?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• we use many different Bibles but we also have our New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. I like that it's in our everyday English and yes, it has both the Hebrew Scriptures (OT) and the Christian Greek Scriptures (NT) ALL 66 Books
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think most of the Protestants use the King James bible or one of the modern translations of it. The Catholics have a bible with some extra writings in it, and the Jehovahs Witnesses have one that is slightly different. I'm not sure but I think the Mormons have their own version, too.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Christian Bibles have both the Old Testament and the New Testament however the books included in the OT differ based on the Christian denomination. (The Books in the NT are all the same).

Protestants removed certain OT books from their Bible (Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Ecclesiastius, Baruch, 1 & 2 Macabees) as well as parts of the books of Esther and Daniel. Catholic OT contains these writings. Eastern Orthodox OT include these and some additional writings (Prayer of Manasseh, 3 & 4 Macabees; Psalm 151).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Hmm I can see how this can complicate things for others to understand each other.
    Is there just one universal Bible that has it all? made for all Christians and doesn't have anything removed or added?
    Anonymous

• Mormons use the Kings James Version of the Bible. We also use the Book of Mormon. It isn't a version of the bible (previous poster stated above that we had our own version), it is a completely different book.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Different sects have different bibles other than the Christian bible---leave the New World Transaltion alone---it's from the JW's and don't mess with the Book of Mormon either. They were both written by men--and are NOT entirely God's word!
    The catholics use a different bible as well, but I don't believe catholics are a cult. You're best off reading the King James Bible for the closest interpretation to the original manuscripts.
    NIV or RSV are okay, but make sure they are CHRISTIAN bibles and not from a sect or cult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• "leave the New World Transaltion alone---it's from the JW's and don't mess with the Book of Mormon either." Yea you better stay away from those. You wouldn't want to form an opinion on them before even opening them and giving them a chance.........

eye rolling

lol if you just want a Bible I personally would try the King James Version. If you want more readings to try out so you can form an opinion yourself, I would contact those denominations. Good luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The King James is pretty standard for most Christian beliefs. The New International Version (NIV) and Revised Standard Version (RSV). The Catholics (I believe one version is the New American Version) and Eastern Orthodox do have additional books in the Old Testament.

Be warned though... The King James version can be very difficult to read and understand if you are new to Bible study (it's the King's English). I would recommend a good KJV for meditation and learning to read the language but for learning the Bible stories and understanding them better I recommend the NIV.No matter which Bible you choose, they are translations from the original Greek and Hebrew. All versions have misinterpretations of words and phrases. So for Bible study I would also recommend Googling articles about what you are reading as well. Good luck!

http://www.biblebelievers.com/BibleVersions.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Who do u think wrote the Bible? anon1:00...... MEN
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Is there just one universal Bible that has it all?

The Orthodox bible that has the most OT books then you would have it 'all'.  Most other denominations don't think the OT books they've excluded are wrong/bad- they just question whether they are inspired by God.  Personally, I disagree that the KJV is the best translation.  Like many older translations it's based on only one set of texts.   We've discovered several other ancient copies of biblical texts since then and have a better understanding of the language and customs of that time.  I think more modern translations are more accurate.  Then you need to decide if you want a more literal translation (catches the nuances of the writings but is harder to read) or a more dynamic translation (easier to read but loose some of the sublties).

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009