What do you think is worse smoking while pregnant or smoking with an infant in your car?

I am ot condonding either nor am bashing anybody.. just simply asking a ? dont blow it out of proportion

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think smoking in the car is worse. The smoke that comes from the lit end of a cigarette is putrid, not to mention harmful. And yes, I know the smoke coming from the butt end is gross too, but at least when done while pregnant its being filtered somewhat through the mom's bloodstream first.
    (And, just for the record, I smoked occassionally while pregnant. Occassionally meaning one cigarette a month, MAYBE two.)

To me, there is NO excuse to smoke in a car with your children in it. NONE! Ever! I smoke occassionally, and my husband is a smoker. We NEVER smoke in our cars, even if we are alone in them.

And to the poster that said her parents did it and other generations did it...the cigarettes being produced today are much more deadly than in the "good ol' days"...and how do you know for sure "you're fine"? You could die from a blood clot caused from the second hand smoke tomorrow...would you be fine then

Answer by CariadSpawn at 3:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• second hand smoke sounds worse because there are no filters....BUT I think it is pretty bad to smoke while pregnant because the baby is still I think while prego is worse, but not be much.

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• both are bad, but I honestly think smoking in the car is worse

• Neither one is good IMO ...

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would have to say smoking while pregnant. Both are just as bad. But, in a car, atleast, you can open the window. I also am condoning either!

Answer by mamaada at 10:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Jrsmommy-- How is his rash has it calmed down ??

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I don't think there is a "worse" in this situation - both are just bad ideas equally so.

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• i smoked while i was pregnant...and then i was in the car one day dying for a cigg and my daughter was in the back seat...i lit a cigg looked back and saw her and didn't even get a chance to inhale. had to throw it out the window actually seeing her there and realizing that shes real and the damage would be real. made it seem worse...when your preg you can't hear your baby cough b/c you lit a that to me makes it worse. to smoke around the baby than while preg...and i'm posting anon so i don't get bashed

• personally i would like to see a law passed that smoking in a car with a child is child abuse. i see people all the time smoking in a car with young children and the windows arent even rolled down. i see it either way as basically attempted murder. you are possibly causing cancer in someone that has no choice of what you do. that is just me and my opinion.

Answer by newmommy61207 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• some states do have that law. i know VA just tried to pass it, i don't know if it passed our not. but i've heard some of the northern states have it already

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009