Another family murdered by the father...

Supposedly due to psyciatric and financial reasons. Sad. I would never, no matter what, think about murdering my kids/spouse. What are your theories to what is causing a seeming "outbreak" of these type killings lately?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517060,00.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A person cannot kill unless they have it in them. The economy might be a small trigger in a large chain of events but the person has to have a killer instinct to do this. My brother and his wife both lost their jobs, house and pretty much everything. They have 4 kids and are living with my mom well until 3 weeks ago when his wife left him with the kids. He is stressed and has more debt and problems than any of these murdering fools that have taken out their families. He is not going to harm them or himself he loves them. He is out there looking for work and allowing family to help. He is stressed but loves his family even the female dog of a wife that left. He does not have the character of a person who kills. These people are selfish and do not love their families.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The economy (spell)?
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I'd like to think it's simply that there's more media coverage and that it only 'seems' like this type of thing is happening more. Maybe that's too optimistic/unrealistic of me. The economy plays a big role, in my opinion. But I don't see why these people can't just shoot themselves and leave their families alone. Some of them leave notes saying that they were 'saving' their families. I just can't believe that anyone who's capable of this is the least bit sane.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 10:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think like the PP that we are just hearing about more of them, when it used to be just regional news, now we hear about murders from all over the country so it seems like more.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I am curious - when someone does a mass killing, what percentage of the time are they on Prozac? Just curious. Eli Lilly has settled out of court on similar things.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My theory...is people are getting the Credit Card letters in the mail where they are arbitrarily raising our rates.

Mine went from 7.9 to 25.00% I am telling you...that will sure put a bee in your bonnet! Made me sick for 2 months straight messing with my wellbeing!!!
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 1:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think it is because people do not have to be held accountable these days for their actions. Anyone can say "Oh my meds made me do it" "I was depressed about _____ and _____ ." or "My parents abused me and I'm really the victim here." etc, etc, etc. And for some reason, the morons on the jury actually buy it.

When you can get away with murder.... why not commit it I guess........

Makes me sick..................
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 4:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The economy definately has an effect also the fear of the unknown. They think in there head they are doing their family good by sending them to heaven.

Think back to the fall of the stock market in 1929, people were committing suicide left and right because of loosing their job and falling into financial trouble. When you have everything then have nothing it can drive people to this point.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 9:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• "Think back to the fall of the stock market in 1929, people were committing suicide left and right because of loosing their job and falling into financial trouble. When you have everything then have nothing it can drive people to this point."

This is actually a myth. While some people committed suicide around that time, the rate did not hike as so many people believe. Historians have pointed out how few news articles actually reported suicides (which isn't an exact way of estimating it, but part of the process.) So, it does make me wonder if this whole 'recession made me do it' excuse is a weak one. As the anon poster said about their brother, I am positive myself nor my husband is capable of this kind of atrocity. No matter how bad things get financially.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Heard this on the radio last night very sad.I cannot imagine the pain the family is going through.God be with them.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2009