Some much information...so little understanding

Got papers today mainly how a homestudy works (props to those that have finished recently) and wow I have so many questions on the application to even get started. By finacial stabilty do they mean you can pay your bills by your childs diapers have food and all of those things and do they care if some of your income is state assistance? nad one other question Is it a requirement in the state of Ohio to have your drivers license to adopt because Iam currently working on getting one and plan on having it in the next six months!! notes on answers to my questions: Thanks for letting me know to not get attached to a "picture" I was probably being a bit ahead of myself there but she seems so sweet but Iam sure theres a child out there who would really fit into our puzzle of a family :) I just love recieving info on many things not because I cant focus on one thing alone but because adoption seems very challenging and I want to..cont

KidsDesrveFamly

Asked by KidsDesrveFamly at 10:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Adoption

• understand as much as possible about it all!! And Iam going to be honest right now you bash me and dont expect any less back because you shouldnt dish out what you yourself cant handle okay to those who already have or are thinking of doing so I mean theres a fine line between constructive critiscism and bullying so watch it K!!
    KidsDesrveFamly

Answer by KidsDesrveFamly at 11:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• whatever
    Anonymous

• what and awful thing to say! as far as the paper work goes I would maybe call a lawyer not on the case and ask those questions. I think adoption is a wonderful way to help child come into a loving home where they are loved and if you know that you can adopt I see no reason in not getting attached however if you do not know yet you run the risk of not getting her and being horriably depressed. they are going to want to do a home study as well to make sure yours is a fit home it can be kind if intimadating be honest and let them know your plans on how you are going to support and build a life for this child and what you are doing now to make that happen like getting your drivers license good luck
    knepppi

Answer by knepppi at 2:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You've asked a lot of questions and I believe that you are really serious about adoption. If I can be really honest, it sounds like it may be in the future for you. Just from the things you've written, I don't believe you're prepared to adopt right now. But you're doing the all the right things to be prepared to adopt in the future. Focus on one big event at time. Get your driver's license, become as financially stable as you can (you mentioned state assistance - you will not be approved to adopt if you're on it, but the good news is you don't need to be well off, just able to support your household), have your husband enroll in classes that can help him learn to read - all of these are things that will help you be better prepared to adopt in the future. My husband and I knew we wanted to adopt before we were even married, it was a desire in us. The time wasn't right until 4 years later. Good luck.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think that MommyAddie gave you some good advice. She is someone who has experience with the foster care system. I'm sorry for some of the rude responses you've already gotten. We have some "regulars" who post anonymously so they can be rude (although some use the Anon button for legitimate reasons, like protecting the privacy of their kids, etc.).

I was surprised to hear that you have to have a driver's license, rather than just a state issue ID. You should be able to take care of all the things you've mentioned. Can you call without saying your name and find out if it really matters whether one spouse has trouble reading? That would also surprise me. With a school system in place, very few of us are the ones who actually teach reading these days. I've been preparing my DD by working on letters, sounds, etc., but by the time she's old enough she'll be in school. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Thanks all I really appreciate some honesty and yet some critiscism only those who want to learn ask questions so yes its great to be here where I can ask many questions and get a variety of answers but who cares how smart you are right? I just wish I had maybe skipped ahead from 1st grade to 3rd when I had the oppritunity for its my only regret in school....but hey we all have a regret or two. My Grandma wish she had become a school teacher when she was offered a scholarship but she had 5 boys and two foster kids that were important to her and well...kids can be a handful right? *Sarcasm* Smile all it will improve your face value!!! :)
    KidsDesrveFamly

Answer by KidsDesrveFamly at 3:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009