What is the point of a tag sale? (also known as a yard sale, or garage sale).

We had one today to get rid of the extra things in my grandparent's house. I always assumed the point was to clear things out and make a little cash doing it. I have this one Aunt who wanted to nickel and dime all of the neighbors. She started picking on my husband for lowering prices and he didn't even have to be there! He was just helping out because he loves my family and she was just being a jerk! Plus she had all of these Longaberger baskets that she was trying to get top dollar for and she wouldn't budge on these ridiculous prices for stupid baskets. It was annoying.

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 11:07 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most people I know who go to yard sales go to get stuff for little to nothing. If your aunt had stuff that she wanted to sell for a higher price, she should have tried a different option like ebay or something.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• it is to clear things out and make a LITTLE money when you do it. unless you live in a neighborhood where people are willing to pay alot of money at yard sales, they aren't going to make a lot of money. you have to price higher than you expect that way you can negotiate with people to get what you really want
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:09 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I have money to clean out stuff and make a little money like you said, plus to help others get what they need at a price they can afford. (ex. all kid clothes 25 cents each, and adult clothes 50 cents each). However, my SIL does it to make money, so her prices are higher. My husband used to get upset at my prices, but we have been here for 6 years and we have one sale every year, we always make at least 100.00 more than the SIL which I think is hilarious.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:18 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• There's some things that would be a crime to sell for too low which is why you don't put them in a yard sale, lol. People go to yard sales looking for a deal so unless they know the history of your aunt's special baskets they're going to try and get the best deal they can.

For bigger items I would suggest ebay or craigslist.

I've always wanted to have a yard sale but I don't have anything worth selling! Lol!
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 12:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2009