why do you want to go to heaven anyway?

there's so much trouble and debate about HOW to get to heaven, but never the why do you wanna go, so why? most of the time my answer (whether spoken or not) when people ask me "don't you want to go to heaven" after hearing my opinion on life, the universe, and everything, is quite simply, not if you're gonna be there

simonssuperhero

Asked by simonssuperhero at 11:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol I look forward to seeing the responses to this.

I agree with you. I think people should just focus on living their lives instead of always worrying about if they are going to Heaven or not...
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 11:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I think because the idea is that the alternative is Hell... so basically some are just thinking if they have to choose, they'll pick the one without despair and torment. Plus God said it's desirable in the Bible, so they're just trusting that, even if they couldn't say WHY it's desirable.

I think that if the Christian Heaven exists, then it's likely that all the other ideas of heaven/nirvana/valhalla/summerland exist, and I'd rather go to one of those. I think that whatever happens after we die, whether it's everything, something, or nothing at all, we were given THIS life for a reason, and that it is to be lived. Life itself is supposed to be the focal point of living. Not dying.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:22 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I see you've been reading some Douglas Adams!

Oh, by the way my answer to this question is... you guessed it... 42.

Moonrush

Answer by Moonrush at 11:23 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Hahaha... I like your answer!

I don't want to go to heaven because ---- well, if I assume heaven is real then I have to also assume that the Bible is accurate and that all the descriptions of it & rules for getting there are true also.

Based on that information --- none of my loved ones (people or pets) are going to be there to great me.

I'd rather spend eternity in purgatory or rotting in hell with my loved ones than to spend eternity in a "paradise" w/o them.

An eternity apart from everyone you love? Doesn't sound much like Heaven to me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I do believe God created the universe and life with its' good and bad. When I die I know I'll go to
    heaven because that is where the wronged become calmed and good. We've all been wronged and we've all wronged others in our lifetimes, I believe. There is a difference between wrong and evil. My heart or my spirit, soul knows strongly that evil is not in heaven.
    Anonymous

• I used to want to go because Heaven sounds alot better than Hell. But now I have grown so close to the Lord that the only reason I want to go now is to be with Him. I mean there are some amazing perks to going to heaven. But I just want to see Him and worship Him and bow down at His throne. I can't imagine what it will be like. He is preparing a place for me, and I have family there, and the streets are golden, etc.

But I just can't wait to hear Him talk to me personally. Wow, I am totally crying just thinking about it. I love Jesus so much. I can't wait to see what He has in store for me.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I believe in heaven (I call it home) and I want to go there because the only other option (as far as I believe anyway) is to be stuck here as a ghost where no one can see you, hear you, and only occasionally feel you. I would have to sit around watch all my loved ones die.
    And home is nothing like the bibles version of heaven. It's not all of us standing around with nothing better to do then play harps and sibg to god. Life at home is much like life here. We can learn, walk along the most beautiful beaches, sleep, or we can play a harp and sing if that's what we want to do. And as far as the "rules" go, there are none. Almost everyone will go back home. The only ones who will not are the dark entities (sociopaths). And there are none of the terrible emotions there. So, yeah, I want to go home, but not anytime soon. I still have kids to raise and marry off. lol.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• To be with my creator, and live in a perfect sinless,satanless world. Where I may spend all eternity basking in love and living in a place we all want this world to be like with no killing,robbing,criminals. Just everyone getting along and equal. Praise Jesus for giving us this chance.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Hahaha...

I agree with you. There are certain people that I most certainly would not want to spend eternity with in heaven.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Well heaven sounds terribly boring, and the only alternative is eternal torment? Nice God you got there....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2009