my daughter nurses for 10 min at a falls asleep. shes 5wks and im worried that she is getting worn ut feeding.. she eats every hour. getting tiring. she eats every second shes awake. Is this normal or should I try formula? HELP!

daisy6878

Asked by daisy6878 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its normal honey! Don't give her the formula. She is going through a growth spurt. My babies would nurse every 2 hours unless it was a growth spurt and then it was more frequent. Just keep at it mama! You've made it 5 weeks! The hard part (learning how to get baby latched on etc) is over. Just keep listening to your baby and let her eat when she wants!
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It's perfectly normal! She's heading into the 6 weeks growth spurt and may nurse even more. As long as she's wetting/pooping in 6-8 diapers in 24 hours you're doing beautifully! Don't worry, it gets better soon. You can do it!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:31 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Also my nurses said to nudge my dd's chin until she's eaten at least 15 minutes. If I hadn't done that she would never have truly gotten full.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• No formula. First off, wake her by slowly rocking or jostling her a little to get her to wake up. Try lifting her upright to get her to wake up and then nurse again. It takes some time to learn, rub her cheek or tickle her feet to wake her as well. Its annoying but even try to not feed her until she is fully ready. Feed her every 2 hours instead of every hour, you dont have to have her on the boob every time she is awake. try giving her a pacifier, my first was a suckler. It took me awhile to learn she just like to suckle alot, not always feed. You have to take control.
    Hol-e-Mole

Answer by Hol-e-Mole at 11:33 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• sounds just like my DD at that age.... she nursed for what felt like the entire day! as long as she is gaing weight, your baby is fine. also, if you are worried that she is not getting enough, you can easily check to see if she is dehydrated. push your thumb down on the top of her foot, if the color returns to her skin immediately, she is hydrated. if it doesn't, then she is not getting enough fluids. also, make sure she is having 6-8 wet diapers in a 24 hour period.
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• That is normal. I always took my children off of the breast, and then changed their diapers. That usually woke them up, and then, nursing could begin on the other breast.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• This IS normal, and it WILL pass. You sound like you're doing a great job.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Hang in there, it will start to get easier really soon! When she starts to slow down on her sucking/swallowing and seems like she is falling asleep squeeze your breast to make the milk flow faster. You should notice her starting to swallow more again. Often this flow of milk will help them to stay away and take a little more.
    This is a common age for a growth spurt and for her to need to nurse around the clock. In a few more weeks she will be able to take more at a feeding, she will start to go longer between feedings on her own, and will be awake more during the day.
    Keep up the good work, the reward is just around the bend!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Make sure she is getting enough wet diapers...that's the biggest indication that she's getting enough breast milk.
    Anonymous