I have a son that has autism. He is a very picky eater.How can i get him to eat more?

MY son is five years old. he goes to school.he does not even talk.He will say some words but not much.

Laurakenny10

Asked by Laurakenny10 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Check out the book "Just Take a Bite". My son has autism and we have a lot of food struggles and the book is really helpful. We've had to work and work to make trying new foods a positive experience and now he is doing so great. We've broken a lot of the "rules" and gotten great results. For example we let our son play with his food, if he tastes it and then spits it back out he doesn't get in trouble for it, etc. Letting him explore and have a little control has really really helped.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Another method that is being researched and has had success with this and other behaviors is Video Self-Modeling. You can go on line and get some information on this. A researcher at my daughter's school used this method to improve her social skills, but he has used it with other children to improve their self-feeding and to try new foods. The concept is that you video tape your child eating, manipulate the video to show him trying and enjoying a new food, and show him the video before meal time. He watches himself trying and eating a new food, and seems to feel that since he's already done it, he can do it again. Of course, my explanation is not very scientific, but it is something along those lines. You can google Dr. Buggey and Video Self-Modeling if you are interested in exploring this option.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• you can try something that we do, to get our autistic son to do things. You first find what is highly reinforcing to him, like a movie, candy, something that he would do anything to get at or play with. My son loves to wrap his arms around our waist and run around the house. So when we are playing like this, I'll run, run, run! Then stop, (and he'll want to go) so I'll say "here take a bite" or "here try this," and I'll put a small piece in his mouth, (really quickly) and then start running around again. The whole process goes really fast so you'll want to have the food ready to deliver right away. What you are doing is pairing something highly valuable, with something that is not valuable, and you are reinforcing the good behavior, (trying the food) with what he loves to do. This will most likely take lots and lots of trials. You can message me if you have any questions or if I've confused you any, hope this helps.
    JenniferDeegan

Answer by JenniferDeegan at 10:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had to dice everything up and get divided plates like from www.kidsplates.com... each part of the plate had to have something on it or she would freak, and most of the time she didn't even try the stuff but I just put whatever new thing I wanted her to try on the plate everyday and eventually she took a little bite.... so basically persistence and cute silverware helped...
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 7:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2009