Spacing babies??

I have one child who is 2 and hubby and I are discussing when to have another one. I thought if I got pregnant soon that it would be nice to have the two be about 3 years apart, but now I'm thinking about waiting a year. My question is, does one year really make that much of a difference? If they are 4 years apart then they might have less in common but then having a newborn and a 3 year old kind of scares me lol. Anyone out there with some good advice? Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Well I think it's all up to the couple. I wanted my kids to be close in age but the thought of having another soon scares me Our son is also 2 and we are planning to get pregnant next year with number 2. However I have 2 friends who both their kids are our sons age and 1 just had number 2 in January and my other friend just found out after 2 months of trying that she is pregnant with number 2. So it all depends on what you think you can handle.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:41 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I was 2 years from my younger sister, my older one was 4 years apart. I had a hard childhood with my older sibling cause we could never do anything together, we were too far apart. My younger sister was only 2 years and we could do everything together, we are best buds. We spent our entire childhood together doing things and having the same friends. It made it so much easier, I have 2 kids a year and a half apart. They work so well together and they can do everything together. The closer the better I say!
    Hol-e-Mole

Answer by Hol-e-Mole at 11:42 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My boys are exactly 2 years apart and I loved it. Now they play so well together I am so glad that I had them so close together.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 11:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• well my sister and I are three years apart and my son and daughter are four. I think it depends on whether they are boys, girls or one of each and unfortunately you can't know before hand. My sister and I are very different and no didn't have a lot of friends in common. My son and daughter are opposites too. Spacing them together makes certain things easier. For instance, when your older child wants to watch a show that might not be appropriate for a younger child. Also if you are planning on private school, college, etc. Four years and older might be better so that you can pay for one at a time.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Thanks :) Yeah most people I know seem to space them like 2-3 years apart, but to me that seems like a lot to handle lol. I just don't know what to do! My hubby was wanting to wait a few months ago, but now he wants to start trying. I'm also still nursing so I don't know wether it would be easier to go from one child to the next with that or to have a "year off" lol.
    Anonymous

• I think the friendship between siblings depends on more than age - how kids are taught to respect others and their own interests as they grow. My three, mid twenties with youngest a teen worry still about each other but yet have their own interests and friends. My sibling and I are a year and a half apart and we're very distant as grownups and were close only til middle school. We spaced our kids cause we didn't want two kids in diapers, wanted time to value one's babyhood and toddlerhood without the difficulty of another in one of those stages. If we'd had multiples they would have been loved still but just not planned being so close in age. Multiple births run naturally in mine and my husband's families.
    Anonymous

• I agree Anonymous 8:50...I kind of want to make sure we get to have our time with our 2 year old without having to juggle a newborn. I don't have to worry about having two in diapers since our little one is potty trained already, but the idea of having to take care of a newborn and toddler just intimades me lol. But then again I don't really want them spaced too far apart. I plan on homeschooling so I figured if they were closer that might make it easier, but then again I don't think 1 year difference would make that much difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I have three boys who are each about 4 years apart (give or take a month or two). It's worked out really well for us, my older boys (10 and 6) are actually pretty good friends. Sure they have their fights and arguments, but all in all they get along quite well. My youngest (2) loves his big brothers and wants to do what ever they are doing, and they are old enough to find a way to include him. At 4 the older sib was understanding of when mommy had to feed the baby and couldn't come play just then, and they loved to help with baths, diaper changes, pushing the stroller, and entertaining the baby. Originally we had wanted our kids about 2 years apart, but now I can't imagine having done that.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I have 2 sisters and we are all 16 months apart. When my baby sister was born my mom had a 32 month old, a 16 month old, and a newborn. We all get along great. We all went through the same stages right after the other. I'm pregnant with #2, this baby and my son will be 10 1/2 months apart. I'm sure that it's going to be hard in the beginning but it they long run, I think that it will work out for the best.
    KJDsMommy

Answer by KJDsMommy at 12:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• omg im not having another kid for 13 years if ever. my son is a terror!!!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2009