approxamtly how long shoud nursing sessions take and how far appart for my 5wk old?

daisy6878

Asked by daisy6878 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She isnt tired from nursing, its comforting for her and she knows when she is full. Sounds like she is easting well. I know its tough but your doing good and she is eating well. You have a grazer, not the most fun to nurse. My oldest wasnt she would eat for 45 minutes straight (both breasts) sleep an hour then eat again. My second was a grazer, 10-20 mins at most heere and there and hell she is 1 year old and still cant go a whole night without a midnight snack! Its normal, your fine! 15 mins is good amount of nursng time
    Hol-e-Mole

Answer by Hol-e-Mole at 11:39 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• A 5 week old should nurse as long as they want when they want, I know its not what you wanna hear but setting limits will only cause major issues. Theres no way of knowing how strong your babies suck reflex is and how long it takes to get the milk out, theres also no way of knowing how big her tummy is or how fast she digests her food and needs more...give it time and it will back off to a more scheduled like times...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It varies a lot from baby to baby!! It can be every hour, or every three hours... it can be for ten minutes at a time or 45 minutes each time. Some babies in those early weeks just seem like they are on the boob more than they are off! Getting a sling or wrap and learning to nurse hands free can be helpful in this case for some mamas.

It will change though... the first couple months are the most intense as far as breastfeeding goes. After that things should begin to feel much more manageable!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My 4 month old has just gone from 7 mins- which she has been doing since that age- to about 15mins. I think the most we have ever nursed is 20mins. I dont know if my boobs are high powerded or what lol but she has always been like that. And she gets about 4 to 6oz. I asked my mom at first because I was worried that everything was saying 20mins and stuff but she is healthy and putting on weight. Your baby will let you know what they need.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 11:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Baby should still be nursing on demand at 5 weeks old and that varies from baby to baby. Listen to your baby and put the idea that you need a feeding schedule out of your mind.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• As often as she wants for as long as she wants, it's OKAY to become a human pacifier for a couple of months. She wont always nurse this often, hang in there :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• On demand, and for as long as s/he wants at this point.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• she should get it whenever and wherever she wants for as long as she wants if she falls asleep thats awesome that means shes nice and coumfy and soothed and who knows maybe she will take a nice big shidunks for you ;) just let her do her own thing play follow the leader she will guide you watch and listen for her nursing cues
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 10:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2009