How do you know for sure that you're going to heaven?

Every Sunday at church the pastor asks if you know for sure if you're going to heaven, and everyone seems so sure. I am a Christian, have been all my life, but a part of me still wonders if maybe I missed something I was supposed to do and maybe I won't go to heaven. My parents always told me it was for God to decide who goes to heaven, so how do you know for sure if you will? Please help me, this is a very serious question.

BethTTC

Asked by BethTTC at 11:49 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13).

Salvation is a continuing process, not a one-time event. The parts of the bible that talk of our ability to know that we are abiding in grace are important and must be taken seriously. But they do not promise that we will be protected from self-deception on this matter. So instead of trusting ourselves - we need to have faith and trust in God.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Do you believe and have you excepted Jesus Christ as your Savior. In other words do you believe He died on a cross to save you? If so, you are going to Heaven. Its not as difficult as people try to make it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• accepted not excepted
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I do believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins....is it really that easy though? Is that all the pastor is asking?
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 11:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Actually i do not know I or anyone else will go to heaven or hell. Only God decides this. I am going to do my best to live as a Christian and please God to the best of my ability. That is all we really can do. Just MO.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Its not about our opinions at all. If you believe what the Bible says...
    "If you confess 'Jesus is Lord' with your mouth and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it by is the heart that you believe and are justified and by the mouth that you confess and are saved." Romans 10 : 9 & 10
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Way to go Erin... someone else that sees this ! Good stuff and yes I am in agreement with this.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• yes i also agree with Erin.
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2009