Can you chose not to vaccinate your kids?

Brittany099

Asked by Brittany099 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you can. however i just recently found out (my dd is vac. so it doesnt affect me) that public schools can refuse to enroll your child if he/she is not vaccinated. so that is something else you may want to look into in your city/state when making that decision.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:59 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Yes but I advise against it. The risks outweight the risks. meaning rather your child have a chance at an adverese affect or die of a horendous disease, you will be the one to blame! Think about it. BTW, the CDC has reported several time that vaccination do not cause autism. Yes vaccines are tainted but its worth it to not have your child sickly and possibly die in agony.
    Hol-e-Mole

Answer by Hol-e-Mole at 12:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Brittany, I guess it all depends. See the problem that is arising is that these children are going to be responsible for bringing back some of the diseases that we have eradicated way back when. I, myself, do not want my children around any non-vaccinated children for fear of this. I will deny my kids to be around such, at school and daycare. If you chose not to vaccinate, I would say that you will be responsible for such stuff as well. Does this make me happy? Hell No. If my child gets a disease because of a non-vaccinated kid.. you can bet I will be suing the pants off the family! This is total negligence as far as I am concerned. We worked way too hard to eradicate this stuff. It is your duty to protect not only your child, but all others as well... do you want the responsibility of a major outbreak.. I think not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My baby is vaccinated and I worry everytime that she gets them.... is this going to hurt her? I have been a care taker of a boy with autism so I know a small part of how hard it can be. (Im not there at night when he wants to jump on his bed for hours and hours and hours, but I have seen the perminant bags under his mom's eyes.) His mom also doesnt think that it is the vaccines. I do think that we have worked too hard to eradicate it to let it come back again. I know that I can deal with a child with autism (though I dont think vaccines cause it) but I dont know if I could deal with my daughter being paralyzed forever because I refused to get her the polio vaccine. I dont think I could deal with her dying for refusing one of the other vaccines. And I dont think I could deal with her getting another child sick because I said no.
    It is your choice. Choose what you think is best.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You can certainly choose not to. Public schools can't deny your child. All you need is an exemption instead of shot records. Non vaccinated kids are not walking diseases. Vaccinated kids are not immune to those diseases either. If anyone's kid will infect anyone, it's the vaccinated kid "carrying" the disease for a while after the shot. Your child is far more likely to suffer from a serious vaccine related reaction than s/he is to get any of those diseases. Many of those diseases are nothing to worry about even if they did occur. Check out the Choosing Not To Vaccinate group. You can deny them altogether, delay them, only get certain ones, or whatever. Your pediatrician may not like it, but there are doctors who are as against vaccines as there are who are for them.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• many of those diseases are nothing to worry about b/c people vaccinate their children. however those diseases still do exist, so yes that is a risk. and yes they can deny your child, you can file an exemption but i was told it is a process that takes about 3-6 months and you have to go infront of the school board in order to get it approved. (i know this b/c i just enrolled my daughter for head start preschool and was told if her shot records were not totally up to date, she is missing one MMR by only 2 months, that she would not be allowed to enroll for full time preschool next year) that is when i asked about those children whose parents chose not to vaccinate then i was told about the process
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• "Many of those diseases are nothing to worry about even if they did occur." IF THEY DID OCCUR, YOUR UNVACCINATED CHILD WOULD POSSIBLY BE DEAD. I'm not sure if that is nothing to worry about. Yes an unvaccinated kid should be worried about getting a disease, isn't any disease that your child gets going to worry you? I won't allow my kids to be around unvaccinated kids either. That is not fair to my child because the other mom is ignorant and careless
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes you most certainly can and no public schools cannot refuse your children. You have to have an exemption letter signed and the requirements for those vary by state, but they HAVE to let your children in with a proper exemption form. if you are considering it I would suggest a journal I saw from another mom.
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1444732/To_Vaccinate_or_Not_to_Vaccinate
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• well now the "crazies" are going to come pouring out of the wood works......your going to get a bunch of answeres from the extreme vaccinaters and the extreme non-vaccinaters HAHA! Just go educate yourself on the matter that way you can make an informed decision for yourself and dont let these people scare you with there bull shit. one way or another YOU have to figure it out for yourself......Good luck with whatever you decide momma :) Your child can go to school no matter what you decide.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Of course......you can make all the decisions regarding your child...nothings mandatory.
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 11:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009