Leviticus 19:19 clearly states against interracial relationships?

Do not mate different kinds of animals, Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.

What do you take out of this scripture?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't say that is against interracial relationships. I would say it means don't have sex with animals of a different species...not of a different race. If it was against interracial relationships I would think it would say something along the lines of "Do not mate with different colors of animals, Do not plant your field with different colors of seeds."
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• What Lev is talking about is marrying outside of your religion. Not race. In that time there were many different religions forming and God commanded his people not to marry someone of those beliefs because in that time the people of God were straying and leaving their ways to follow their spouses gods and it angered him. It also talks about not having relations with your ons wife or daughters and sons not to have relations with their mothers. It was a crazy time going on in Lev and God was trying to get his children to follow his word again by those laws.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Doesn't it also say in Leviticus that unless the children are from the mother the children are not related?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I would say mind your own business what others choose to do and who they choose to fall in love with is on them I think u are bored and looking for a cat fight get a life
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• ANON 12:20 no our family had this dicussion last night and I want others thoughts on this..so bite me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think he's saying don't mate with sheep or dogs...since when are other races animals?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The bible uses many different words and terms, confuses me a bit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Take much of what is in Leviticus (and other Old Testament books) with a grain of salt. The OT serves to help a Christian learn more about God as well as learn how one might live their lives based on the triumphs and follies of others that went before us that knew God (i.e. Daniel, David, Ruth, Esther etc.). However, when it comes to OT law, one must remember who those laws were originally intended for. The Jewish people's religion and government were one. Therefore, it is understandable that "political laws" would be given by God (who was the direct "ruler" of the Jews during the time that they had no king). Such laws were meant to keep them safe from the enemy, to keep them clean and healthy and to keep agriculture and livestock thriving. They have nothing to do with racism and whether or not our women sit out side of the "city" when they're having their periods (among other laws) is not pertinent to Christians today.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• We are bound to the NEW promise found within the NEW Testament. We glean what we can (what I said above etc.) from the Old Testament but our method of salvation is no longer to follow the laws of old. We must believe in Jesus Christ and that he was raised from the dead. Period. Jesus is our example as to how one must live. Old Testament laws need to be put within the context of the culture and the times they were written in, to be properly understood.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I know that throughout the bible it talks about mixing with opposing religions. It's against it. I haven't seen anything relating to skin color. If you notice, everything in the bible is usually written again in a different form with the same meaning. I've found many things telling us that. I believe this to be just another form of saying that. If it were about color of skin, then you'd see it brought up in many other verses, in different forms.

Also, the Old Testament doesn't apply to us. It's good to read and learn, but that was before Jesus came to take our sins upon him on the cross. A lot of people think some of the things written in the Old Testament are crazy, but they don't understand that back then, it was written in accordance with the fact that there was nothing there to save us from what we did. It was the law, if broken, you perish. God de

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2009