Rolling over in crib?

My son is almost 5 months and just decided that he can roll over and thats all he does now.lol. The last few mornings I have found him on his belly instead of his back, and I am worried of him suffocating from being on his belly. I know there is no way to keep him from flipping over. And he is strong so im hoping if it came to that point he would lift or turn his head. Any one else worried about this?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If they can roll over they're fine. The risk for SIDS is waaaaay lower. He'll be fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm right there with you but when my son rolls over he wakes himslef up and starts whining. That's how I know he's on his tummy.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my son is 7 months old now and i had the same fear but if they can get on their tummy they can get on their back again
    nikalotta20

Answer by nikalotta20 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My pediatritian told me with all 3 of mine that when they start rolling over, they are old enough to sleep on their tummies. I was advised to keep putting them down on their backs & just let them do what they will to position themselves as they sleep.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My son actually has been sleeping on his belly since he was about 3 weeks old. He wouldn't have it any other way. He is now 3 months 3 weeks and he does fine. He can't roll over just yet, but he can lift his neck and back up pretty high. you don't need to worry though, if he can roll over he is definitely fine
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The new consensus with the SIDS researchers is: back to sleep, if they roll over then they roll over, there is no need to put them back on their backs.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My daughter was rolling over when she was only a week or two old. She hated back sleep. It didn't make any sense to me to make her sleep on her back since I had a friend who's little girl died of aspirating on her own vomit while sleeping on her back. When I was a baby they told mom to put me on my belly. I know women who were told to put their kids on the left side or the right side. SIDS means Sudden Infant Death Syndrome; in other words "We don't know what caused this innocent child to die so we're going to create an acronym to use in cases where we don't know." Worrying about SIDS is likely to cause you to stress out and have problems from that, and when mommy is stressed baby will be too. Let him sleep however he is comfortable.
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 12:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009