Reoccuring UTIs since giving vaginal birth?

I gave vaginal birth to my son 17 months ago. It was all natural, no drugs or medicines or that sort of thing. Since I gave birth I have had reoccuring UTIs that are about to drive me insane. I get atleast 1 a month and I can't deal with that ontop of being the mom to an autistic little boy. I stopped drinking soda or anything with caffeine, I drink plenty of water, I wear cotton undies (no thongs), I don't take baths (only showers), I wipe correctly, I pee after sex, I even manage to get down a little cranberry juice every now and again even though I can't stand it. Why do they keep coming back?! I have an appointment with my gyno coming up next week and I want to know what to expect. I've never had a single uti until right after I gave birth. Could the birth somehow have messed me up?! Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Health

• My daughter had a c-section and she keeps getting them, right on top of the other. She has been on the antibiotics and they have had to give her doses for more days to hopefully fight them off, and finally give her something stronger. Hers could be attributed to the Foley catheter she had to have, but I don't know why you would keep having them unless you didn't urinate soon enough after giving birth to flush out any organisms that may have entered your urethral opening.
    At your doctor's office they may ask you for a urine sample to test. The doc may ask you questions about frequency of and pain upon urination. If you have been experiencing any pain further up, be sure to let your doc know. Your doc will prescribe you a med and you MUST take it every day and finish it all. Your urine will be orange in color, which is the med. Keep drinking LOTS of water to keep flushing your system.
    Hope you get well soon!!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2009