• In the Spotlight:

Favorite Mother Goose book for a newborn?

And why?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 1:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd say Three Little Pigs. The "I'm going to blowwwww your house down" phrase can be said in such a humorous way that it will catch the attention of very young baby- my husband used to read it to the kids, and even if they aren't ready to understand what is being said, the saying of it is funny- I'm not sure how to describe it. When you say "blowww your house down" make your voice higher and warble and draw out the word "blow" . It is so funny. The baby will understand that you are just being silly and making a silly sound. The repetition of the phrase several times in the story lets the child get involved when he or she is older, too., You read "and the wolf said" and the child can respond with "I'm going to blowwwww your house down." Lots of fun, lots of giggles.

Answer by Bmat at 8:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Another favorite although not quite as much fun for a newborn but still valuable because it involves repeating a speech cadence and wording is Goldilocks and the three Bears. It may be that this one is actually better for a litlte bit older child- say 6 months anyway. The baby hears the repeated style of phrasing "Goldilocks tried the Papa Bear's porridge, but it was toooooo hot!" and so forth. The even older toddler can then participate in the reading of the story by repeating the phrase. The parent reads "Goldilocks tried the Papa Bear's porridge, but it was" and the child responds with the rest of the phrase. The same with the phrases "Somebody has slept in MY bed" and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 8:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2009