My son who is 20 months today climbs out of his high chair the minute he finishes eating.......Should I just let him go & put him in the playpen or explain he has to stay in but he has a fit when I did try that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try just doing a booster chair now instead of a high chair...I taught my son to tell me "all done" when he is finished...a child's easier way of saying can I be excused? Just practice what you want him to learn he will get it. My son is 15 months...he learned a few months ago so Im sure you can get it. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My first question is: Why does he have to stay? He's too busy needing to explore the world to sit after he's done eating...At this age, I would recommend getting a small table and chair where he can sit down and eat in a manner that is "mini-adult" - he'll learn about sitting himself down and getting up when he's done. He can learn to let you know when he's all done using hand signs, then afterwards get himself up and help "clear the table" as much as he's able.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Put him back in and have him say all done and then let him down. after doing this a few times he should get it!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I also am not understanding why he should just sit there when he is done eating. Either he has to sit there or go into a play pen?? I don't get it....
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 3:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Oh my answer to your problem is to just let him have some freedom and be a 20 month old.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 3:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• What do you want him to do at meals? Do you want him to be able to leave the table when he's done eating or do you want him to stay at the table until the family meal is over? You have to decide that and make him follow the rules. Easier to establish the rules from the beginning than to try to enforce them later after you've established a habit/pattern.

But then our boys are taught they have to wait until their father is done eating and to ask "May I be excused, please?" when they want to get down. So take it for what it's worth....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I understand if you are trying to establish a ritual where everyone stays at the table until everyone is done eating but a 20 month old has a very short attention span. Maybe you should try to move him to a booster and tell you when he is all done. If he finishes before you or your family maybe let him down to play. When he gets a litlle older you can teach him to more about table manners, he is just at a really explorative age.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My son does the same thing. If he is climbing out of his high chair then he will probably climb out of his playpen. I would just watch him and make sure he does not fall out of the chair when he is climbing out and let him be. Boys are going to be boys. No matter where you put him he is going to figure how to get out lol. Maybe consider getting a toddler table set and let him sit there for meals so you wont have to worry about him falling out of the high chair.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 10:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My daughter who is 22months WILL NOT sit in a high chair....she does the same thing. We also have a 3yr old...so what I did was I went and got a little table with 2 chairs and put it in my kitchen. The girls eat at THEIR SPECIAL TABLE and it works most of the time. You just have to be vigilent...they love to eat and run around then come back...but if you sit on the floor with them...then they will stay and will feel all grown up because they have their own table. If not, then you should probabbly go out and get a high chair that has straps and try to strap him in....but realize that he may throw another fit and not eat...but if you continue to do it...eventually he will realize you are not giving in and eat.
    2princesses1mom

Answer by 2princesses1mom at 11:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2009