What age should siblings of the opposite sex stop sharing a bed?

My boyfriends daughter is 10 and his son is 9. I feel they are old enough to sleep in seperate rooms (they share their room at their mothers along with a 13 yr old - her boyfriends son!) His son wants to continue sharing the bed more it seems but when they are at are home I try to make them sleep in their OWN rooms. Isnt there some kind of law about this also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• LET THEM BE INNOCENT AS LONG AS THEY CAN, IT IS SWEET! MAYBE BUNKS?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• They have bunks but they both sleep on the bottom bunk together
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• THEY PROB ARE JUST LIKING THE SENSE OF SECURITY OF BEING NEXT TO SOMEONE MAYBE GET A PUPPY?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• MAKE THAT A REASON WHY THEY NEED SEPARATE BEDS PUPPY CAN TAKE TURNS SLEEPING WITH THEM TO WEAN THEM OFF EACHOTHER. AWWE!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• wow i would never even think of putting my 2 children of opposite sex in the same bed to sleep unless they were twins or something..... and then that would stop once they got toddler beds.... but she does provide bunk beds for them i dont know thats weird to me but i dont know the whole situation
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My older four all slept on the floor togather untill they were about 13-11, that is just what they liked, even though the girls had one room and the boys had thier own. Then they just started sleeping in thier own rooms and in thier own beds. They did it on thier own when they were ready, I think they just liked having each other around.

They are pretty close in age so they are most likely very used to sharing a bed, My 7 and 5 year old (boy-girl) still like to share a bed on occasion. I see no real big deal.

What I do see are two kids who may resent you for trying to push them into something they aren't comfortable with, maybe back off and give it some time, see if they will do it on thier own. I know that when mine finally decided to do it on thier own I was just at the point where I was going to force the issue.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Just leave it be. When they feel they want more privacy they can ask for it. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with it. I always shared a bed with sisters when I was growing up, but when we stayed in hotels and for whatever reason I got paired up with one of my brothers, it never felt the least bit weird at any age.
    anita73

Answer by anita73 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• maybe its ok for the 2 younger ones but the 13 year old one I dont agree with mainly because he isnt kin to them and his hormones may be raging which may not be a good thing for the girl. I can relate to what I am saying because my daughter has a stepbrother about a year younger than her and before they was step brother and sister he tried to get in her pants "just playing house" he said. They was 12 and 13 so just be cautious.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 8 and 6 1/2 (girl and boy, respectively) and they no longer share a room or bed. I believe that in the state I live in, if they are over 3yo and opposite sex, they cannot share a room. Also, if there is more than 3 years between them (whether same sex or not), they cannot share a room. However, in special circumstances (an especially loud thunderstorm, houseguests, etc) they will share a room temporarily.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 6:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE WAY TO OLD TO NOT ONLY SHARE A ROOM BUT ALSO A BED. THEY NEED TO BE TURNED IN TO CPS. THAT IS WRONG. IN MY STATE IT IS ILLEGAL FOR ANY KIDS OF THE OPPOSITE SEX OVER THE AGE OF 6 TO SHARE A ROOM. THERE WOLD BE NO WAY IN HELL THAT I WOULD LET KIDS OF THAT AGE OF THE OPPOSITE SEX TO SHARE A BED. AND WITH A 13 YR OLD BOY IN THE ROOM TOO. NO IT NEEDS TO STOP NOW. IT IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009