Car seat rules?

I live in Caifornia.

My current carseat is a rear-facing infant one which states that it can't be used if the child is over 29 inches, or 22 pounds.

My baby is extra tall and she is 28 inches, she's also 18 and a half pounds, and only 7 months.

I purchased another seat for her for the future which allows an infant 29 inches and 20 pounds BUT, the child must be AT LEAST 12 MONTHS OLD. This is the common standard of all seats that I've seen and I don't know what to do, as I'm positive she will reach 29 inches and 20 lbs well before she is 12 months old.

HELP?!

SpunkyCristine

Asked by SpunkyCristine at 2:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She needs to be rear facing in an infant seat or a convertible carseat (it goes forwards and backwards) until at least a year AND 20lbs or until she exceeds the maximum rear facing weight limit on the convertible seat, which can be 2 years or older(rear facing as long as possible is the safest). After a year, or whenever she exceeds the reaf facing limits, you can turn the convertible seat around to face the front. There is a carseat safety forum here on cafemom, go there. You can also google "safe kids USA" or contact your nearest children's hospital or fire dept/police dept (some, not all have trained carseat techs)and locate a tech or a checkup event near you. hey can check your seat and help you with installing it and answer any questions you may have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Rear facing convertible carseat until 1 year AND at least 20 lbs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You must be looking at forward facing only seats, or toddler seats they are sometimes called. However, you need a convertible carseat. There are many, many convertible car seats on the market. I am in CA also. Just go to any babies R us, target, walmart, etc and ask to see the convertible car seats. They look just like the forward facing seats but can be used rear facing for babies that outgrow their infant seats. Most have a weight limit of 30-35 lbs rear facing and can then be turned forward facing. You can use a convertible carseat from birth as long as it is rear facing.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You don't have a convertible seat it it requires them to be a year old, I bet. See if you can return that one and get a convertible. It's more bang for your buck anyway. It will go rear-facing, forward facing and most will also become belt positioner boosters.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'd like to recommend the True Fit seat. It can be used RF to 35 lbs and FF to 65. Also, the on the infant seat, the height is a rough guideline. You can use the seat as long as there is one inch or more of hard shell above the baby's head. She could be 31 inches, but have longer legs then torso, and still have the inch above her head, so she would still be safe. She could be 27 inches, but have a long torso, and NOT have the inch above her head, and that would mean the seat is outgrown.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• For her height, just make sure she has 1 inch of hard shell above her head... she may have long legs and then the 29 inch max doesn't matter, so she can stay in her infant seat longer.
    But is she will be outgrowing her seat soon she requires a rear facing convertible seat... the seat you have for her will not work. I would return it and get a new seat.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• She can stay in even if she's "too tall" -- keep her rear facing until 12 months ANS 20 lbs. At 7 months she doesn't have the neck strength...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2009