Harry Potter?

I know there are a lot of people that don't like the Harry Potter series, and I have some questions for you.

Why don't you like them, for religious or political reasons, or because you don't care for the writing style or story?
Have you read the books?
Seen the movies?
Which ones have you read or watched?
What exactly did you not like about the story?
If you haven't read them or watched the movies, how can you possibly say you don't like them?

The thing is, I have no problem with people who have read something I have and just don't like it, but I have yet to encounter anyone who gave this series an acutal fair chance, that DIDN'T like it. I want to know if there's anyone out there that did read them and didn't like the story, or the writing style, or something else besides religious reasons for disliking them...

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 3:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You know, as painful as the last book was, and yes, there were a lot of deaths, some of them you just wanted to say "why?!?", I think to NOT have had them die would have been somewhat of a betrayal to the nature of the whole thing. Maybe because I'm a Vet and my dh is military, but I know and understand the horrors of war, and that sometimes people you love very much die fighting for a cause they believe in, and sometimes they die simply because they got caught in the middle. It's an ugly, sad truth, but I'm glad she didn't avoid it, that's one of the things I liked about the series - they weren't sugar coated or dumbed down or anything. It's also one of the things my kids liked (mind you, they were teens when the last book came out), that she never wrote "down" to them or anything like that.

Though I do have to admit to one other hope I had about the end, one that was sort of fulfilled.

next post - spoiler
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm Christian, and I read them. I also read them out loud to my kids (we started when they were in elem school and we kept up the tradition with each one, even though they're more than old enough / capable enough to read them to themselves).

The only thing I didn't like was when JK Rowlings said that Dumbledore was gay. Not because I'm against gays or anything, just that I always secretly thought that he and McGonagal had this whole secret love thing going on, sort of along the lines of "Remains of the Day". I told my dh (who also likes the books) and our kids this. The funny thing is, my dh thought the same thing, only with Madame Pomfray, with one of the kids agreeing with me and one with him LOL.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• cont

Overall, I thought they were very well written, with a very well developed plot line with lots of twists, well rounded characters, and were, overall, classic examples of "man v/s man, man v/s society, and man v/s himself, all rolled into one.

They were well done. As I said, I'm a Christian, and to not read them because of the magical angles well, then I should also avoid reading about King Arthur (Merlin), Shakespeare (lots of references to that sort of thing), or pretty much any Disney movie or book....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I appreciate your honest answer. I think a lot of people were disappointed in the Dumbledore thing, for the same reason you were. However, asked early on in the series if Dumbledore and McGonagall were in love, JK Rowling stated that it was not in the cards for them.

P.S. I read the books aloud to my husband and mom, for the bonding experience, so I can totally understand reading them to kids who are well beyond old enough to read them on their own *smile*
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 5:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I read them avidly and enjoyed the movies, especially the first when the kids were filled with wide-eyed wonder. I hated the last book and have never re-read it. I felt it was poorly written- too slow in the middle, and the ending felt just rushed off. I was also disappointed in the Dumbledore announcement. I felt that his sexual orientation was not something that needed to be announced or discussed. I also felt that the painful parts of the last book (not wanting to go into more detail for those who haven't read it) were unnecessary. It could have been a much gentler book. Because it was such a harsh book and boring in addition, it lost my interest, and I'm not even sure I'd bother to see the movie. There's enough sadness in the real world that I don't need to have it in what I read and see at the movies.

Answer by Bmat at 8:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Bmat,

I can understand what you're saying about the last book. It is very difficult to read. I acutally just re-read it and I loved it this time. While I disagree about it being slow, it was very harsh with a lot of death. A couple in particular were so sad and just ... unneccessary ... that I almost put the book down because I was so upset.

But then I remembered a couple of things Jo said in interviews ...

1) This is a war. In war, people die. That's just how it works.
    2) The last books of this series were not children's books, and even she wondered how people could let their small one's read them. The books grew with the characters, and so should the readers. Personally, my son won't be getting them to read until he's at least nine, and I'm seriously considering 1 each birthday from the time he's 11, that way he'll have the same anticipation I did. But then I remember the films and know that's impossible..
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• As to the other point you made ... I have no intention of making this question about whether or not Dumbledore should have been gay, or whether JKR should have shared this with us, but I feel I should make something a bit of a clarification. Dumbledore's sexuality was never actually "announced". This was not something that a press conference was created just to let everyone know. Rather, the information came out during a reading/Q&A session that JKR did after the release of book 7. It was a simple answer to the question of whether or not Dumbledore had ever been in love. The honest answer was, yes, he had. With *spoiler* Grindelwald.  That is why their relationship was so intense and why he was unable to bring himself to defeat him for so long *end spoiler* If you were her, would you have lied, just to please the masses?

AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• SPOILER -

I can see how to do it entirely would, in a lot of ways for a lot of people been anti-climatic, but I always kinda wanted it to be Neville in the end that killed Voldemort, since the prophecy could have been about either of them, and I think it would have been a good twist, like if all these yrs of battling and trying to kill Harry, in the end it was him and Harry, going at it, with Voldemort winning, and Neville came up behind and id him in. Sort of a fitting way for him to have "come into his own". But, I do like the ending, and I'm glad that in the end, he did "come into his own", and show the inner strength that kept peeking out all through the series.

But I think that was part of the rooting for the underdog, mothering instinct in me that wanted that for him ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• btw - I don't think she should have lied about how she developed his character's sexual orientation, as I said, it wasn't that big a deal, and there was a very bitter sweetness when you look at who she says it was. It just wasn't who I had imagined all those yrs ;-)

(I had missed where she said it wasn't in the cards for them lol)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009