How do I get them to GO?

My girls have had a potty for awhile now and they get the idea. They will take off their diapers and sit on it.. BUT they never do anything!! I say to pee or poop and they know what that means. I take them with me sometimes when I pee. I just don't know how else to explain to them what to do LoL! Any ideas on how to get them to make at least a little more effort here? They just turned 2.

jackiec7707

Asked by jackiec7707 at 3:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh this is sometimes very hard. with my oldest it was easy. but my youngest was a little hard to potty tran. this is a great age to start. i had my girls going to the potty with me as soon as they turned 1.every one said it was too soon but they got the hang of it. give them some drink something they like. after they drink most or all of it, take them to the potty with a book they like . have them sit on the potty and look at the pics in the book. let them sit a while. if no one else is home feel free to bring it in the living room. after they sit a while they will most like pee. than when thyey do reward them. my girls loved getting a sitcker when they went.use a chart or calender and let them put the sticker on it themselves. they will love getting to do "big girl stuff" and it still may take a while.but they will start to enjoy going and find it to be fun. i always would jump up and down with them saying yay big girl sierra
    lynn0323

Answer by lynn0323 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Wait until they are a little older. They'll go when they are ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Thank you. Everyone keeps saying "They need to be potty trained" and I'm like "Well I'm not going to squeeze the pee out of them" Ya know? It just gets frusterating hearing people say that and I always feel like I'm not doing something right.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 4:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• thats a bit too young lol, its good that you start them early though, they will get it within the year, just gotta be patient. When they do it in their diapers, tell them that they should do that in the potty.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 9:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Hi, I felt the same way you did. I tried and tried when my oldest daughter turned 2 and she would NOT go. She would sit but never go. And if I tried to MAKE her sit.....she would run away.
    So, I know you don't want to hear this....but I had to wait. I know how you feel, you feel like your kid is the ONLY kid who isn't potty trained. But, sometimes kids just need to be older. At 2.5 I tried again....and this time I explained the potty..but didn't push the issue....and she went!!! She is one of those who will do it on HER terms. And my other daughter is currently potty training HERSELF!! Everytime her sister goes...off goes her diaper and she pees in the potty.....so you just have to let them be themselves! Maybe your little one just needs to be a little older.....oh...and Training pants DON"T WORK!!! You could try making it special by going and having her choose her own panties!
    2princesses1mom

Answer by 2princesses1mom at 10:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If you're doing it for other people, then it's not worth it... If you DO want to do it, I would not have them sitting on the potty, waiting for something to come out. What worked for my daughter was to put her in underwear and wait for her to start to go in her pants, then move her to the potty. They get the whole point a lot faster, and actually associate sitting on the potty with needing to go potty. If you're interested, check out the Potty Training Moms support group on CM and there's a permanent post on the 3-day method. It's not gimicky like it sounds... it's just a different approach. It worked for my daughter at 19 months. But again, it's only worth doing it when you're ready and when you think they're ready... not because people are saying things.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2009