Honest question just curious. Who the parent Tv, music, ect. or us?

I see so many people blame the media and stuff for bad behavior in teens either that or society. Why not admit your own guilt. Your the parent, the teacher, and role model. So Ithink it's the family.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree that it is the parents fault.
    But really, brailynsmomma08, how are you going to single out RAP STARS.
    I mean come on now. You obviously don't know much about music.
    Look at the pop stars like Christina Aguilera, or even younger, Miler Cyrus for example.
    They don't exactly dress tasteful.
    Or how about movie stars like Angelina Jolie, and Jennifer Lopez for more examples.
    You shouldn't generalize "rap stars." It's not just them that are on TV and influence media. There are PLENTY more.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I am the parent. I control who, what and when my child does things. Until she is old enough to pay the bills the TV will be a privilege and until she is old enough to make decisions about her clothes she will wear what is bought for her and then when it comes time she will still have to follow the house rules. Everyone wants to blame someone for why their kids are a total pain in the as$, disrespectful, ungrateful, lazy, violent or they dress inappropriate and its the parents fault for allowing the rap stars and all that on tv. Its their fault for being to lazy to pay attention.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i think it is the family to. but these days apparently it is easier to blame someone else then take your own fault .
    its sad but it is how people are .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I believe it is the parents. You can blame the media but as a parent you should be censoring what your child listens to and watches. What goes in is what comes out. The media is going to have an effect if you allow your child to listen to it and don't explain why some things are wrong. My dh used to work at FYE. Parents would come in with their 10, 11, 12 year olds to buy them cds thats would have censory stickers all over them. He would ask them, do you know what is on this? And 9 out of 10 times they would say no. He would tell them, songs about beating women, killing people, tons of swearing. The parents get all embarrassed and say to their kids, why are you having me buy this for you? Like it is the kids fault. Parents don't pay attention to what their kids are watching or listening too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with you! I am so tired about how this or that teaches children bad behavior or whatever. No- if the parents do their job there is no video game or rap song is gonna make your child a woman beater.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Ideally, it should be the parents who are raising the kids, but we all know that that just isn't the way it works sometimes. Some parents spend so little time with their kids (whether by choice or because of their circumstances) that they abdicate their roles as mentors/guides/teachers. Their kids have to find *someone* to emulate, and celebrities are easily accessible.

I have to say that I DO hold society partially responsible though. Afterall, societal "norms" are set by the attitudes and choices of the individuals within that society. If enough individuals within the society change, the society itself will change.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Just to be clear and not offensive It's Myly or some spelling or another Cyrus and she is country just like her father she just has a multi-contract w/ both country and pop witch means she gets paid more, but I agree w/ all of you so fair.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2009