• In the Spotlight:

Did you know Obama has brought us a step closer to more widely available embryonic stem cell funding?

In the news a couple days ago... The NIH proposed their draft guidelines for Obama's approval. I wrote about it here - http://www.cafemom.com/journals/user/science_spot

But my question for you is.... do you keep up with the news and understand what is going on in regards to this new policy? Did you know Obama encourages the public to discuss the changes and email The White House with your comments?

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 7:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• These cells come from "embryos", not a "fetus". Big difference. Most of the cells are from discarded embryonic cells leftover from in vitro fertilization. There are thousands and thousands of these cells destroyed every year. Do you know that there are always alot of extra cells created for in vitro? Do you know that they are cryogenically stored and then destroyed? Why is it wrong to use these cells for research and not wrong to just destroy them? So many people do not even understand what embryonic cell research is, thus the condemnation. I'm glad we finally have someone in the White House with the smarts and the fortitude to know what this all means and to stand up for what is right for humanity.
    PLCL

Answer by PLCL at 1:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yayyy. I know a lot of huddy duddys will be unhappy with this but I see absolutely nothing wrong with advancing scientific research.

I don't really have time to keep up with most of the news. I have a newborn and all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes..... Thank you. It's about time!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• WONDERFUL, THIS MAN WILL DEFENITELY MAKE A CHANGE. AND YES I KEEP UP.

Answer by older at 8:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes .
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 9:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Sounds great to me!!! If I could have , I would have donated my cords,placentas,anything to promote stem cell research. (My kids were born in the 1960's -before these advances). We finally have a President who cares about health and people. (As opposed to the Cheneys and the rest of the blood-thirsty waterboarding creeps)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Good deal. Science over superstition.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I know human lives will be slaughter for testing. Sadly embryonic research so far has not lead to any results where adult stem cells and cord blood stem cells have been successful. I am sickened by this. I am a woman that cares for all children even the unborn. Many don't care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I guess some IDIOTS don't know that there are stem cells in cord blood... he'd rather slaughter innocent lives (live begins at fertilization!)...

stupid, stupid man.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

i agree with you!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2009