At what age do you take away a sippy cup?

My granddaughter will be 3 years old next week. She is still using a sippy cup during the day and takes one to bed with her at naptime. I think it is a comfort thing, much like the bottle was. Spilling is a problem with a regular cup. Any suggestions on how to get her off of the sippy cup and what could we use in place of it?

Damma

Asked by Damma at 7:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try a cup with a straw and stop giving her a cup at nap time, that only increase her thinking she needs a cup to sleep and she doesn't. Switch it out with a toy or blanket. They have all kinds of cups with straws that are spill proof as it depends on how hard the child is sucking it valve will open. They sell them anywhere you can buy baby stuff. They are usually Dora or some design like that. They have the pop up straw or just a cup and plain old straw with a lid and don't let her walk around with it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• We started straw cups (they have some that are "spill proof") at 12 months. Then at 2-2 1/2 we went to a regular cup. But then we never had to deal with taking a bottle or cup to bed...we just didn't let them.

I would start working towards a regular cup, personally, especially if she will be attending preschool soon. I know the three year old class my son is in all drink from regular cups for their snacks and meals.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I do not suggest laying a child down with any liquid,is she not potty trained?My son and the boy I keep were both 30 months old when we took the sippy away completly!They still occasionally spill at 3 yrs old but I oly give them drinks with meals and snacks and if there is some left they leave the cup at the table to come back and drink as needed.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 11:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• When she wants a drink, offer her two choices - start with one sippy and one regular cup. Let her choose, but you can add phrases like "do you want the sippy cup or the BIG GIRL cup?" Let her see that big kids drink from non-sippy cups - try the straw cups, regular plastic cups or even coffee cups since they still have a handle. My son started to ask for the cups with handles like I use because kids naturally want to do what grown-ups do. Over time, just start giving her choices between two regular cups and no sippy cup at all. Give her some of the power and associate the cups with "growing up" into a big girl...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Why do you need to take them away? I never did take away the sippy cups/spill proof cups and my kids still did just fine with regular cups. It doesn't have to be either sippy cups OR regular cups. My soon to be 5 yo still uses spill proof cups most of the time. My husband and I and our older child also use spill proof water bottles a lot. It's really no different except that ours hold more than kids sippies. And they certainly help keep the mess from spilled drinks to a minimum.

I also have to disagree with the idea that drinks at nap/bed times aren't necessary. I keep a bottle of water next to my bed because I get thirsty when I go to sleep. My kids and husband do too. Sometimes kids are so busy during the day that they don't drink enough and don't realize they are thirsty until they are ready to wind down for nap/bed time. I trust my kids to know if they are thirsty or not and give them drinks whenever they request them.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i took mine away at 1 lol it was the daycare class he was in. it worked great. i let him practice and he got his big boy going on with it and never looked back. i kept one nuby cup for the car.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 5:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• we had to give up the sippy cup shortly before her third birthday.. poor kiddo has her front teeth rotting out from her sippy cup. she drinks from a cup only now
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I took it away from her at 18 months old, its just a transitional item to teach how to go from a bottle to a real cup. They should never be used longer then that. She started the sippy cup at 6 months, bottle taken away at 1 year, sippy cup gone at 18 months and pacifier gone at 2 years.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 3:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009