Moderate Bleeding after Cervical Exam...

I went to the hospital yesterday due to contractions. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and thought yesterday was going to be the big day. Anyhow, I had my cervix checked for dilation. It was still at 1 or 2. Also, the lady who checked me hurt the hell out of me, too. I bled dark brown blood on almost a whole panty liner and today, I'm still spotting. Now, it doesn't seem to be a bloody show due to no mucous that I can tell. Is it possible she tore something? They say you could have some spotting, but filling a panty liner is not what I consider spotting. Did this happen to anyone else?

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 7:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did she strip the membranes and just not tell you? That can cause a little bleeding that can be heavier then spotting. Was it your first vaginal exam because they are not to comfortable while your pregnant and they do get in there and get it done. I am thinking she stripped the membranes and blood is normal that far along. I would wait and see if it stops as you should have an appointment in a few days and if it continues talk to your dr.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• no it is perfectly normal to have the brownish sometimes red spotting after an exam . i went friday and i had an exam as well and i had hte brown spotting as well . and yes enough for a pad lol . happens after my dr checks me too.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• They weren't purposely suppose to strip the membranes. I filled about a whole panty liner yesterday. And, today I'm still bleeding, but it is much more lighter than it was yesterday. I'd describe today more as just spotting.

I did have a previous exam about 2 weeks ago to check dilation and it didn't hurt nearly as bad and I didn't have any bleeding, at all. So, with yesterdays exam and the after effects, I was just a tad surprised.

I have an appointment Wednesday, thankfully with the less evasive woman from my clinic, so I'm glad for that.

I'm on day number two of this, so I will keep monitoring. I appreciate everyone answers!
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 8:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• it could have hurt more cause the baby pushing down so it was probably already aggravated. everytime with my daughter when i got checked, i would bleed bad! and i would freak out everytime i seen it.But come to find out, i had a blood vessel that the would irritate everytime they would check me and it would bleed. so maybe that could be whats happening to you. sounds like it is stopping, which mine also lasted like that. if it starts back up i would call the doc about it
    brittoh

Answer by brittoh at 9:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2009