Is it just a phase?

My almost 5yo SD is here for the weekend, she has been going to the bathroom litterally every 3-5 minutes. Sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesn't. I called BM to ask if she had been doing this at home and if she had been to the doctor and she said the doctors ran tests for everything and told her it was just a phase. She also said that she had been limiting her to using the potty once every half hour. I thought this was rediculous at first but three full rolls of toilet paper later and having to run to the bathroom to wipe her while trying to take care of a 1yo, I can see how the half hour rule came into play. Has anyone else had this happen? She has been grabbing herself all day too... Its just so weird.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1) If she's not going all the time, why does she need wiped?

2) At the age of 5 why is she not wiping herself?

3) If they've checked it out and decided there was nothing wrong, that it's a phase, why do you not believe the mother and the pediatrician?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• 1) She has had a lot of issues with this, if we dont wipe her she practially has a panic attack, BM insists on doing it for her and its not something we can fix over the course of 4 days a month.
    2) same as above, I've tried telling her that her kindergarden teacher is not going to stand at the bathroom door and wait for her to be done so he or she can wipe her. She wont listen to reason and insists on convincing SD that if someone doesnt wipe for her she isnt "clean" thus causing the panic attacks.
    3) She seems very upset when she sits down to go if she cant get anything out, she keeps saying that she can "feel it in there" and it just wont come out. I really was just wondering if anyone else had gone through something like this and what they did. If I tell her she needs to wait she starts bawling and saying she "cant take it anymore" and "really really really has to go" Just looking for advice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I wonder if she's got some kind of bladder or kidney problem. Also, just stress can sometimes do that. I find that sometimes I'll feel like I need to go, but I'm on my way out the door and have to leave RIGHT NOW, but the stress of knowing that I have to leave makes it so I can't pee. And the more I think about needing to pee so I can leave, the more I can't. She might be getting too stressed to pee, and the more she goes in and tries, the worse it gets. Can you let her just go in and sit on the potty for a little while? Maybe if she sits there for a little while, she'll relax and be able to go.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• she might just be worried if she dont go all the time she might wet herself.just remember shes only a child and alot of them go through this.my daughter will be 5 in june and she is almost always in the bathroom. and if someone has told her shes not clean unless someone wipes her than she may need to do it to know shes clean.but let her try just let her sit a while with a book.she may end up going and be ok for a few mins at least. also if she thinks shes not clean with her wiping try getting wipes..the wet wipes and tell her these will geet u clean and show her how to wipe herself. tell her that shes clean now by the wipes. maybe she will wipe herself with them. may take time but shell get there. and the school thing ..if the wipes work and she wipes herself with them put some in her book bag and let the teacher know they are there for her to use at potty time.i dont know if this helps but i hope so. good luck.
    lynn0323

Answer by lynn0323 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with both these answers. Stress, because she's just a kid, like tropicalmama said, and everything that lynn0323 said.
    A.W.96

Answer by A.W.96 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If she is grabbing herself and feeling the need to go than it does sound like a UTI Maybe she needs to go to the doctor again sometimes it doesnt show on the first test.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 3:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2009