Transitioning my one year old to milk is causing gas!

My son sleeps. Good actually. Just not a wink in the last week. I have been trying to introduce whole milk for the one year old switch. I understand that this isn't necessary at exactly one... I just will not be able to afford formula much longer :P We did breast milk until 9-10 mo but my supply is gone now. He will be one in a week. The gas he is getting, even from the couple or so ounces I have tried to introduce, has been HORRIBLE. I just went through this a year and a half ago with my oldest but honestly I can't remember it being this bad... Probably because I already knew he was dairy sensitive from the beginning and wasn't as proactive about the switch?? Idk. But I know goats milk and lactaid are good to try. Any other advice ladies???

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 8:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get him that medicine for gas. and water down the milk.. like give him two ounces of milk and three of water.. and increase it a lil by days... you know.. good luck.. :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If he's dairy sensitive, try rice milk, almond milk, hemp milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with the other posters. Get mylicon gas drops and see if they help the situation any. Also, I would try a different type of milk such as soy or the ones mentioned above. I would also talk to his doctor. Sometimes they are able to write a prescription for formula, so you might be able to continue with formula a bit longer until his stomach can handle whole milk. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I know this is a bit late...just saw the question...

Anyway, my son is allergic to cow's milk so he drinks rice, almond and/or soy milk. You may want to try one or more of those. They taste good, too. I am now a big fan of the almond milk. It is my favorite. :-)
    TheBodyShopMom

Answer by TheBodyShopMom at 11:54 PM on May. 9, 2009