Can you name a baby girl Jasper?

The reason why I am asking cause I know of a friend of a friend who is pregnant now, and one of the names she chose or her husband wants to name their daughter is Jasper. I have heard of this name before cause I have a cousin who is a he and his name is Jasper. Now I know everyone has a right to name their baby to whatever they want, but this is just a bit awkward. How many girls out there are named Jasper?

kaynadjaysmom28

Asked by kaynadjaysmom28 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Jasper sounds like a boy. WHy do people want to name their kids such odd names now days? It is going to be embarassing for that poor little girl but it doesn't seem to matter to the parents. Silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• none ive heard of but it seems to be the "thing" lol to name a girl a boys name
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Jasper is a mineral, right? I suppose a girl could be named Jasper. Some names in the past that were men's names are now commonly girl's names- Beverly is one that comes to mind.

Jasper is pretty, and with people making up names as they are, then a mineral doesn't seem out of line. She'll possibly encounter some double-takes when people expect a boy but see a girl. But on the other hand, no reason it shouldn't be a girl's name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• ^^^ Sorry I hit anon by accident. I posted the above post (didn't want anyone to think I was trying to hide. I can't delete it, so I'll repost it here.
    Jasper is a mineral, right? I suppose a girl could be named Jasper. Some names in the past that were men's names are now commonly girl's names- Beverly is one that comes to mind.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I have a female friend whos name is Dale... So people can be named anything :)

They could name her Jasper and calle her Jaz or Jazzie
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 9:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• There are all sorts of 'male' names given to females and vice versa. Heck, my name (Courtney) is used mostly on boys in the UK. I like the name Jasper for a girl!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think it sounds nice for a girl. its their choice and who cares what they name their child
    Rngrad_2006

Answer by Rngrad_2006 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I met a man named Shannon. anything is possible and Jasper is a beautiful name for a girl.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The first thing I think of when I hear "Jasper" as a name is a very early Tom and Jerry episode where the woman of the house is yelling at Tom...

"Jas-PER!...."

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• it makes me think of a toothless farmer fixing his tractor. I don't like it for either boy or girl.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2009