Would you think this is funny?

My DF and I have been engaged for 2 1/2 years and we have a new joke. I tell him all the time that we arent getting married because divorce costs are too high, lol. He knows its a joke and tells it to everyone too, but his parents hate it!! I think its funny and I'm not going to ruin my sense of humor because they want to uptight christians!!!

Anyone else got any funny jokes, I need a laugh!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• im NOT an uptight christian .. but no im sorry i dont think that is funny
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Its funny because its so true. You never know if someone is going to cheat on you or die or something. Marriages break up for many reasons, its the 21st century. I am an atheist and my SO just believes theres a god. Marriage isnt religious, its a test to see if you can stand each other and if you really love each other. Many people fail, for example if you constantly fight and dont know how to solve the problem, dont get married lol. I hate really religious people, they come of as complete idiots to me.

I have a funny about Immaculate conception, people kept secrets back in the day, mary wasnt a virgin, and neither was joes brother. lol
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 9:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• now that I believe mammabelle!! lol why would she be a virgin she was married!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I don't feel it is funny either, sorry. To me divorce is not something I would joke about. I can see why the parents don't like it, they don't want to think of their child and the word divorce in the same sentence.

Not a joke, but something that made me smile recently was one of those forwarded emails that I got that rings warning bells that it must be a hoax. It said in the text of the email that they had checked with Snopes.com and it was not a hoax. So I went to Snopes and sure enough it was a hoax. I had a chuckle that just because the message said this is not a hoax they checked with Snopes that people would say OK, it must not be a hoax then. LOL! (I have snopes on my favorites list and check it whenever I hear a rumor or get an email that seems kind of unbelievable.)

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well it doesnt mean we are going to get a divorce, we are very committed to eachother, Its just something we say to people when they ask us when we are getting married. I mean we dont have to get married, my mom got married to my father and they were together for maybe 5 years and seperated, and she has been going out with her bf for the last 17-18 years! a stupid piece of paper isnt going to make people commit to eachother if they dont want to!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I've never found it funny. my "fiance" says this all the time because he is already one divorced and it makes me think he doesn't want to get married again even though we have a kid and have been together for way more years with than he was with his wife.

to me it is more than a piece of paper. it is me being allowed at his bedside if something horrific ever happened. it is proof to the world that we are definitely exclusive. because hunny, he don't "own" this pootang till there is a ring on it.

also easier for either of us to say "oop I don't want a part of this" and just get up and leave instead of thinking it through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• umm you can get up and leave wether your married or not. That has to be the stupidest reason I've heard. the one about being there incase of something is a good reason but you still can married or not! and no body will own me, married or not, NO part of my body is owned by anyone nor will it!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It is a little funny, but I can understand why it would upset his parents. He is their son, and they don't want to think of him getting divorced. They probably feel like you think marriage is just a big joke, and won't take it seriously, and I would imagine that bothers them. Why not just stop making the joke around them? Then they won't get upset, and you can still have your little inside joke.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Wow, some people are so touchy. Geez... Me and my hubby have this ongoing joke, I'd never let this on to my uptight so-called-christian inlaws, lol, but I always tease that when the hubby's out of town, Sancho comes out to play, hahahah! He'll call me on the way home 1/2 hour away and I'll tell him, "uh oh, better finish Sancho off and kick his ass out the door!" It's just hilarious but I just know my inlaws would flip, especially since they are racist too.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 10:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• lol, we used to joke like that, my DF was a geophysical worker and would work for 65 days straight and come home for 10days and he would say, "how does your BF feel about not being able to see you for a whole week and a half" lol. I like having a humor relationship but that doesnt mean we arent serious!!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2009