Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those that have filed bankruptcy or work for a bankuptcy attorney ????

I have the meeting with the creditors this wed on April 22 nd . I just received a letter from my other attorney about money he says I owe him . Here's the thing , I paid him a retainer fee of $1,500 . when he took my case . My ex was having a hard time with his attorney because he charged him to talk on the phone. So i asked my attorney if he did that and he said " I dont have time to keep track of all those phone calls" . I also asked him every time we saw him where we were at as far as money . He always told me we were fine and that we weren't really getting into the retainer fee. So he finishes my case and i get slapped with a $2,500. bill . These were phone calls and letters basically that he was charging me .
My question is .
When i go to the meeting of the creditors can i add him to my debt . I filed chapter 7 for a reason . And im quite pissed how misleading he was .


Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • We went through bankruptcy several years ago, and if I remember correctly you are still able to add debts to it, as long as it's not finalized.

    Answer by Sue41 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

  • You've gotten a new lawyer since then? ....I'd definitely ask the new lawyer. They are supposed to know the answers to all of your questions like that, so hopefully they will.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

  • Sorry I guess i didnt write this post well . This is not regarding my bankruptcy attorney . This is regarding my paternity attorney . I have been in a custody battle for a year over my son . My case has finally been settled and he sent me that letter . I have already paid my bankruptcy attorney and we are going to the meeting of creditors on wed . I wanted to know if i can add my paternity attorney to my debt on wed . Since i did not have the bill when i first filed .

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009