• In the Spotlight:

Is it easier to transition from crib to toddler bed the longer you wait?

My son is going to be 2 in July...I want to transfer him, but i also have a 3.5month old who doesnt sleep through the night..Will it be easier for him to get used to if i wait longer..if he's older? Or no matter what age, it is change and will be a tough first few nights to get him to sleep and to stay in bed and nap at naptime?! He has never slept anywhere besides his crib..when i lay him down he scoots over to the side and very edge in the same spot each night! when we go out of town, he wakes up crying all night long and doesnt sleep well at all because he is not in his own crib in his own room that he is used to..he wont even sleep in a full size bed with us, he throws a tantrum if we try(when we were out of town and he was up all night in the crib my parents had in its own room). How old were your kids when u switched and how long/hard of a process was it..any tips/advice? Thanks!!

Mom2JoshAmelia

Asked by Mom2JoshAmelia at 10:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I only have the one right now but because she learned to drop the side of her crib at 11 months we switched her jut after her first b-day. I found it terribly easy except for a few choice nights. My friends who are transitioning now seem to be having a harder time than I did. IDK if that's just temperament or if it really has something to do with switching her so early but I can say that we will probably transition this new baby around the same time.

IDK if that was helpful at all but that's my experience. Good luck with the transition! :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Hi!
    I have a 3yr old daughter and a 21month old daughter. Our youngest still sleeps in her crib...and she turns 2 in June. Our oldest...we waited (or rather were forced to change) because she learned how to climb out of her crib. Once she learned how to climb out we tried to use the crib tent...but that just got dirty and smelly. When we did transition her...she did not sleep better...in fact it got a little worse. She would get up and leave her room (she figured out every door lock possible) we found her in the kitchen. Then she would start wandering down the hall The only thing that worked for me was putting a babygate in front of her door and explaining that Mommy was NOT coming back in and she needed to SLEEP ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE NIGHT!!! Now this was literally last month!! And she did! She still gets up sometimes.....and sometimes she sleeps all the way through. So, I would leave him in his crib until you have tomove
    2princesses1mom

Answer by 2princesses1mom at 10:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I say don't rush it. My girls are 15 months apart and my oldest, now 22 months, has stayed in her crib, so her little sister is in the Pack n' play. My oldest sleeps all pressed against the corner of the crib... I think it would totally throw her off to sleep in a regular position on the bed. I'm going to wait until she starts climbing out, until the little one outgrows the pack n' play, or until the oldest reaches 3 years old, whichever comes first! No reason to mess with things when they're still working...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It depends on the kid to be honest.

We moved ours to a regular bed at 15 months. The oldest two went right to sleep.

The youngest kept getting out and we had to keep putting him back to varying degrees for about two weeks. After that, he started staying in bed and didn't even get out when he woke up...just waited for us to come get him.

I will say that when you DO make the change to take the crib down! Out of sight, out of mind. If he still sees the crib, he WILL make a fuss because he'll think he has a choice of where to sleep.

If you're going to use the crib for the baby, I strongly suggest changing the toddler to a bed NOW, taking the crib down, then in a month or so when you really NEED the crib you can put it back up and the toddler is already used to the bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• With my oldest (going to be 2 in July) we transitioned him when we knew we were pregnant with number two. He had been in a toddler bed since he was a little over a year old. He did fine for the longest time, we used his crib mattress in the toddler bed and my daughter (3 months old) has her own mattress in the same crib. Until a couple weeks ago my son loved his toddler bed. Now he is sleeping in his own full size bed with railings. He is still sleeping through the night.
    tylers07mom07

Answer by tylers07mom07 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Is your crib a 2 or 3 in one set? If it is, then changing it to a toddler bed, should be all that different for your kid. Be sure to put the bed rails on. so he doesn't roll out of it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009