Why is it necessary?

My friend and I were stopped at a red light when a drunk driver hit us from behind. Ever since I have been suffering migraines and back pain. I am sueing the guy that hit us and I have been going through pyshical therapy for two months. The doctor told me that most people go through therapy for ATLEAST 5-7 months. My cat scan of my head came back with positve results....nothing is wrong. The tests of my back werent such good results. I have damage to my spine that cant be fixed. I was instructed to take motrin or advil for the pain unless I wanted prescription pain killers.
Why must I keep going through therpay if it isnt helping and isnt ever going to help? Is it really necessary? What would it do for my lawsuit if I stopped therapy now besides the obvious of less money? I didnt care about the money as much as I cared about my health for my kids.
What should I do? I go 3 days a week and with 2 kids its getting hectic

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Health

• Please don't stop therapy. I was in Physical Therapy for four months recently. I quit after about 2 months thinking like you do but I hurt even worse when I quit so I went back. Let them teach you all you need to know to reduce your pain. That's the good part about PT, they teach you to manage your pain if it comes back in the future so you don't have to rely on pain meds. Look at it as a class on pain management. Finish the class so you can help yourself. Some days I'm fine then some days I hurt but then I lay down and remember which exercises I'm supposed to do to make the pain subside. So far it's worked great. I like that better than laying there crying and popping pills. PM me if it gets too bad.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Regardless of the damage itself not being reversable, physical therapy can keep it from getting worse and making the injury easier to live with by keeping the muscles surrounding the affected area strong.

For more details surrounding your particular injury you should really ask your physical therapist what the benefits are of continuing therapy.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Liquid advil is supposed to work faster than pills, that's what my pharmacist told me when I asked about them. Be sure to ask what you can do at home to keep the therapy up instead of just bettering yourself for a bit at each visit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I was rear-ended by a nearly blind 81 year old woman in 1993 and it took about a year to get over the aches and pains. I used Advil. But I didn't sue her. My insurance paid for all my car repairs. $2800.00 worth. I felt there was no need to sue. She lost her license anyway,.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2009