How can I keep my 8 yr old boy motivated he's a bout 40 lb overweight?

mackk

Asked by mackk at 10:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he in extra curriculars, are there sports he enjoys, people in the neighborhood he can play with, what activities does he like? Make it a point to make these types of things fun for him, make it a family affair, get everyone involved...
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 10:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Is he enrolled in any sports? Playing sports is a great way to loose weight! You could also take a walk with him, go outside and play tag, kickball, soccer....anything with him. The more fun you make it, the more he will stay motivated. Swimming is also a great way to loose weight and stay active! Make sure you keep plenty of healthy snacks on hand and easy. Good for you for trying to help your son become healthier! Good luck!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 10:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• playgrounds and pools (lakes beach ) this gets them running around and swimming and they dont even realized there having a mini work out. also healthy snacks that are yummy but not fatty like popsicals they can eat 5 of them and there are no calories or fat free. so they dont even realize.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• you are the one that needs to be motivated- he just needs to play and eat the healthy foods you feed him.

***
    5 popsicles? Sugars-artificial colors/flavors. Kids don't need that.
    How about frozen grapes? Pretzels, Apples, etc..
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think all you can do is serve healthy meals and do activities as a family. Otherwise if he feels singled out he may get self conscious and may begin a cycle of low self-esteem and end up gaining more weight.
    judyferguson

Answer by judyferguson at 7:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'd make sure this is a family effort, not just changes for him. Even if no one else in the family needs to loose weight, if everyone starts to eat better, if any junk food in the house is gone, if everyone starts to exercise (especially together), then he won't feel alone and everyone will benefit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Wii :) I can say its hours of fun.lol. I hated being outside as a kid.Widh i had one then lol.I didnt mind exercising.Just didnt care for the PLAYING part. I did indoor things like dance and ballet
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2009