Sleeping Issues...HELP!!!

I have a 8 month old whose bedtime schedule is out of control. I try to give her short naps but it seems to not be working. Sometimes she goes to bed at 11 or even 1 in the morning. How to you get you lo on a good sleep schedule? Also the only way to get her to sleep is if I rock her. Is this normal or should I try something else?

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• for the sleeping schedule part of it, the the better they sleep during the day, the better they'll sleep at night. instead of trying a bunch of short naps during the day, try one or two long naps. My daughter is now 16months, but when she was ur LOs age, i had her 2 naps in the day. a morning nap and an after noon nap. Then she just kinda transitioned to one nap during the day (the afternoon one) and made it instead of just 30 min, it can be anywhere from 30min to 2 hrs or so and i let her go to sleep about 1230-1 (roughly) so when she wakes up at 3 (the latest i let her sleep, if not she'd sleep all day lmao)
    then for the routine part, u have to do something that is consistant with everyday. USUALLY what we do with my daughter is give dinner, then bath, then storytime for about 20 min then bed. it works great with my daughter. -try NOT to rock her to sleep, shell get dependent on that. i only rock my duaghter on certain occ.
    ashcoyle

Answer by ashcoyle at 11:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Usually babies that have shorter naps are actually less likely to do well at nighttime... even though it seems counterintuitive, it's the overtired babies that don't want to go to bed. So I'd make sure that your baby is getting 2 solid naps in a dark place a day. A fairly typical schedule for this age is up around 7 or 7:30, morning nap around 10, afternoon nap around 2, bedtime around 7:30. As the parent you set bedtime... don't wait for your baby to "act tired" or get cranky. The key to getting baby to follow your schedule is to implement a fairly rigid routine -- bath whether she needs it or not, pajamas, milk, (brush or wipe teeth), a book, song/rocking. Most likely she will get used to this and know that sleep time is coming. Pick up a copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" for info on keeping your baby from being overtired and setting a good routine.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• don't ever do the cry it out method... I had to rock my baby asleep for every nap and when it was bed time.. she is two now and I lay down with her till she falls asleep. its not the funnest but they won't be little for long soon she will be getting married hahha
    sarabeth1

Answer by sarabeth1 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2009