Getting off the pacifier???

My daughter is 8 months old and I feel that its time to get her off the pacifier. I wanted her off the pacifer before she walks and shes almost there. I was told to just throw away all the pacifiers but I'm afraid it will cause chaos. She doesnt really need her pacifier during the day but she has to have it to fall asleep for naps and bedtime and on car rides. If the pacifier falls out of her mouth in the middle of the night she starts crying so I know this will be difficult. Do you have any helpful suggestions that will make this transition easier????

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could see if you can get her to go to bed at the beginning of the night without the binkie. With my daughter around 5.5 months instead of going straight from nursing to bed (which made her want the binkie to keep herself soothed), I would wake her up a bit, read her a book, and then sing to her in the dark before putting her down. So she'd go down awake but somewhat tired. Instead of crying, which is what she would have done if I had put her down there right after nursing, she'd just lie there awake talking to herself and then drift off. We threw the binkies away. She wakes up a lot less often. And learning to soothe themselves to sleep at the start of the night leads to them putting themselves back to sleep, often with little or no crying, during the night. Sometimes I'll hear a little fuss, but I'll wake up a few minutes later and realize she's stopped on her own and that I've fallen back to sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I am getting ready to fight that battle too.

I have taken it away completely during the day aside from naps and bed time she does not get it, even if she has fallen and hurt herself.

My next step is to take it away for naps. To help her learn to self soothe herself. I will already be awake and be able to go in and offer her her monkey (her favorite stuffed toy, lol) to help soothe her.

My plan is that 2 weeks after I take it away during naps I will start to take it away at night.

Good Luck and let me know how you do, I could sure use any tips!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Throw it away. We did it at 13 months, at 10 months and at 4 months (depending on which kid). We just took them away and it was all done by the third day...they went right to sleep by themselves.

My view is why prolong it? They'll fuss for a few days when you take it away for one step, then fuss a few more days when you take away the next step, etc. Just take it away and be done with it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It will only take a few days and they will get over it. Just stop giving it. Slowly start by taking it away in the car, then at naps and then finally bed. It should only take a week if you start taking it away one step at a time. Give her a new comfort item and don't give in. In a week toss them all and if she asks tell her they are gone. She will fight it out and scream herself to sleep if need be.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well, it's your child and only you can gauge how to approach this. Both my boys used pacifiers. One sucked on his binky until he was 6!! The other was off by 8-9 months. My eldest is a special needs child, but the pediatric dentist assured me that the pacifier would not affect the development of his pallate (sp?) or the way his teeth came in...and it didn't. The long and short of it really is this: they'll eventually put it down themselves (you don't see many 16-yr-olds out on dates with their binky in their mouth). If you want to take it away, though, you're better off taking it away completely, I think. After a few days, they'll find other ways to pacify themselves. The sucking reflex is one of the only reflexes babies are born with and it's the reason pacifiers are so successful at calming very young babies.
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 3:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009