To Christians who think homosexuality is a sin...

With the recent story circulating about a 11 yr. old who hung himself because bullies were calling him gay... Do you think that teaching your kids that being gay is a sin is still ok? Wouldn't you feel horrible if YOUR kid was one of the bullies who felt the need to remind this poor boy daily that he was "sinning"?

I don't want to hear "hate the sin, love the sinner". This is a lame excuse to me and kids aren't going to be able to grasp it at that age.

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• And theres that proverbial "BUT" in the post where people are using the Bible or their relationship with God as an excuse. I again say STOP using it as an excuse. I am sick in the heart of people still teaching things like who you love is wrong. This all breaks my heart and tears at my soul. I hope for your sake that your children are not gay. Because your "love the sinner, hate the sin" is one of the wedges that will drive them away from you. Either that or they will become severely depressed. It will get better because we will not give up this battle for our youth and for our gay and lesbian friends.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Aww, that's so incredibly sad. Kids are being forced to grow up younger and younger these days.

I for one will teach my daughter to love EVERYONE. We're not Christians.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I am christian but I believe in the bible when it said one man and one woman, it was supposed to read ONE man and ONE woman, meaning stay truthful to your spouse. Not one MAN and one WOMAN, meaning if you are gay you will go to hell. I think they just said man and woman because it was the norm for the times. Gay people weren't really around back then and I dont think you will go to Hell for being gay any more than you will for driving a car because those werent around then either.

That poor kid, it is sad that bullies have so much control over other peoples emotions. And whats sad is he was probably raised that being gay was wrong too or he wouldnt have been so hurt by being called that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Gay people were around, trust me. But they were terrified of coming out.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• THERE WASN'T GAY PEOPLE AROUND BACK THEN??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, that is the funniest things I've heard... EVER.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Oh, gay people have been around since there were people around to be gay. Being gay was actually a very accepted thing in Rome and Greece. They've found very dirty messages scribbled on walls in Pompeii saying "So and So sodomized So and So hahahaha".
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Okay, maybe not so much as "accepted", I mean...but people were gay and historians have proof of it. Know what I mean? Humans have always been kinky.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I don't believe homosexuality to be a sin - I believe it to be a natural thing - but I did want to say to those who do that we have to remember that all sin is equal in God's eyes, and even IF you (general you) believe homosexuality to be a sin, you must remember it is no worse a sin than pride or self-righteousness or judgment or anything else. We also must remember that we ALL sin and that means that no one is ANY better than anyone else, homosexual or not, because we ALL fall and err in our own ways. We can't go pointing our fingers at anyone while our own hands are dirty, and we have to remember that ours is a message of GOOD news, of love and hope and joy, not of hate and fear and despair.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Ugh! I hate bullies.

You need to raise kids to love EVERYONE even you yourself don't.
    Emacintosh81

Answer by Emacintosh81 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Its this kind of attitude that makes it so much harder for Christians to do our jobs, which is spreading the LOVE of God. These people do nothing but push others further and further away from God, and its usually because of people like them that people don't give Christians another chance. I don't know about you (or the ignorant people you're talking about), but I would be so ashamed to know that anything I had done or said had caused someone to want nothing to do with God.

Our job as Christians is to firstly spread His love, and then to spread His message, which is a message of love (so its kind of redundant, lol). But you can't spread His message with anything other than love and compassion. Like Ephesians 4:29 says, everything you say is supposed to edify (lift up/build up/support) others, there shouldn't be any kind of negativity coming from us, its not our place. As Christians we are servants of, not just God, but ALL ma
    bandgeek521