Worried, my cousin, and her soda. URGENT

OK, she could drink a 2 ltr boss of soda A DAY. (If her Mother would let her) which usually she will go out and by it herself.

She used to do it alot but has slowed down a wee bit.

Which is a big step for her. She WANTS to, but when she TRIES
she gets bad headaches from the loss of caffeine. I've heard it can
cause kidney stones, and alot of different cancers.

Please give me as much information as you know about this.
By the way she is fifteen, turning sixteen here soon. I am just worried
because I can't fathom loosing her to cancer because of soda.

I've heard ALSO, that soda is almost like the new tobacco.
She hasn't gained any weight. So don't inform me on how bad this
could upset her weight because it hasn't. IT COULD, though I know
that. Please give me any information you have about cancer/any health
problem from the soft drinks! PLEASE!

kylesboo

Asked by kylesboo at 11:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Health

• carbonated beverages are horrible on the kidneys and do cause lots of problems including kidney stones. I've had four kidney stone surgeries and two of them were horrible not to mention the original pain from the stones themselves. I had to give up sodas which wasn't easy for me. It was the only thing I drank for years. I gradually reduced my soda intake and replaced it with water for flushing my kidneys. For caffeine (to rid myself of those horrible headaches) I now drink green tea. I'm sure regular tea would work as well. Kidney stones is the most painful thing I've ever endured and I've had three children and 14 surgeries (not all for KS though). She will feel much better without all that carbonated water in her and the gas sodas can make us have is embarrassing! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 11:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• take a piece of raw steak and pour soda on it... then see if she wants to drink it, eeew
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• ALSO, how can we tell if she has damaged herself as to her pancreas ?
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 11:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Cancer I dont know about , but yes caffiene contributes to kidney stones. it pulls the calcium from your bones and excretes it through your kidneys and stones can form, that is what i was told when I developed a kidney stone at age 14. It was not fun.
    Rngrad_2006

Answer by Rngrad_2006 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• umm..I think that what anon was trying to say was that the soda would eat away at the raw meat?? ( I think coke does that??)
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i never heard about geting cancer, but i would suggest talking to a doctor to check her pancreas and everything out.her getting the hedaches is probably from that she is just so immune to drinking so muchh soda.i think her body just has to get use to less and less caffene.even try replacing it with another craving.hpe i helped
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2009