Bible Question

So I was watching Youtube and for whatever reason I came upon the Westboro Batist Church. Why them? No idea. However, they seem to be really against homosexuals, even had bible verses to back it up. I just had a small question, I have a friend who insists on working on the sabbath, I need some help to stone him. Also, my youngest son keeps talking back to me, according to the Bible I have the right to put him to death. Also, I need some help in protesting outside long john silvers, eating shrimp is an abomination. I also have to get at my mother for planting her cucumbers and tomatos right next to each other, can't plant two different crops side by side as it says in Leviticus right before it says that men that lay with men are an abomination. And lastly, I'm having a really hard time finding clothing that isn't blended. I know that mixing the fibers of clothing is also a big no no, so any suggestions? I'd really apreciate it.

mehamil1

Asked by mehamil1 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• rolling on floor

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.
    Proverbs 9:12

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap. Galations 6:7

Anonymous

• Good answer anon, though I am not mocking at all. I'm questioning the rules of a culture that thrived almost three thousand years ago. And they were serious questions. People single out homosexuality when leviticus says SOOO many things. Had a hotdog latly? Pork products make you unclean. Do you go about with your head uncovered? St. Paul said that a woman who goes about with her head uncovered should have her hair shaved off. I learned that from a Muslim Iman. So why single out homosexuality? People like their shrimp too much? Love that stretchy poly/cotton blend? There is no mockery here, none. I am questioning a set of rules that don't seem to have ANY relevance to today. Leviticus is full of them. They may have worked for the hebrews 3,000 years ago, but not today. We know better. So much better. The same goes for people who are BORN gay.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Old Testament was before Jesus. Those people had to do those things to keep cleansed. When Jesus died on the cross he died for all of those things. The New Testament was during Jesus' time up until his crusifiction. The new testament tells it is a sin to be homosexual. People are not born gay.
    Anonymous

• rolling on floorSNORT!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• People are not born gay, ok, dismiss the past 40 years of medical research.

I'm aware of the new testement, where it says that men laying with men is "unnatural". I just want to point something out. The word that was used for that, a greek word, ugh where is my stupid book, anyway, that word that was translated to "unnatural" is misleading. A more closer translation would be "uncustomary". Kind of in the same way eating with your hands is against custom, though you will still be feeding yourself. Also the new testement was not of Jesus's time. The four gospels were written between 30 and 60 or more years after his death. Also, the whole thing wasn't put together until 325 AD at the council of Niccea. So you have an extreamly wide gap in time. Who knows what really happened.

Jesus never said anything about homosexuality. Also, the Hebrews didn't even have a word for it, another mistranslation. Keep them coming.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Scientifically speaking, the hormones that are secreted in the brain that may be the cause of homosexual desire DO happen in the womb and before the child comes into the world. So yes, people are born gay just as you are born straight. And NO, your bible doesn't hold any relevance in today's world. Abortion is not banned by the bible because 3000 years ago, it didn't exist. Homosexuality may be in the bible but lesbianism isn't. Is it okay for two women to love each other and get married? Modern processing techniques have made pork safe to eat but eating it was dangerous in biblical times. If the old laws were negated by Jesus' sacrifice, why are people so big on the ten commandments? Why do they follow that egotistical, blood-thirsty despot Yahweh from the old testament? Why don't they just follow Jesus? That's what the O.P. is trying to say--what we're all trying to say.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Just a simple question, the new testement states that women should not participate in church, shouldn't even speak during services. Despite the fact that Jesus included women in his ministry. I think Mary Magdelene played a much larger role than how she is chronicaled. Also, St. Paul states that women should never go without their heads uncovered. A woman with an uncovered head should have her hair shaved off. Do you as a Christian woman wear a veil? Jesus never said anything about that...I wonder. St. Paul comes up with a lot of things that I doubt even occured to Jesus. So many rules. So, who do you really follow? Jesus or St. Paul? The great forgiver or a prude with a thing against women?
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• This will be an interesting post. Good for you mehamil 1 !!!
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I understand what you are thinking mehamil1. And while Christians have no problem cooking up some shrimp in their blended clothers on the Sabbath, the part about homosexuality is still considered a sin. The other stuff was what the Lord gave to the Jews to make them a people seperate from the other peoples. And shrimp are unclean. I don't want to waste time explaining the purpose behind the Levitical laws.

But homosexuality is one of many sins that we all commit that needs to be repented of after the Lord saves you. It is mentioned repeatedly in both the Old and New Testaments. "Don't you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers, and swindlers--none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009