When do you take away the comfort object?

My 3 year old became attached to a blanket at the age of one,and althought we have bought him many other blankets he still insists on his elmo blanket.I havnt considered breaking him because its kinda cute,but hes 3 and I was just wondering when you should break them?Its not that he carries it around everywhere its just that he has to have it for bed time.

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 11:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• there have been studies done that children that have a security objects handle stress better as an adult. they know how to channel it. let him keep it. no harm done. my best friend is 28 and still sleeps with hers everynight...and i promise she's very normal :)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I would let him keep it until he doesn't want it anymore. No big deal. My sister had a bedtime doll at least until she was 10 years... she didn't carry it around or anything, just had it at bedtime.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• YOU NEVER TAKE IT AWAY! Not until the child is ready. Ever, ever. They will be so upset, they won't sleep... it's just not a good idea. My daughter still has her teddy, and she's almost 13. It makes her feel beter at bed time. It's no big deal.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in taking away security objects. If it isn't hurting anything or anyone and it makes your child feel good, why force it? Kids *will* give them up when they are ready.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• When he's ready to give it up.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My boys each have a blue teddy bear they were given at birth. My 2 year old and three year old still curl up with theirs. My 5 year old could really take it or leave it at this point. It's still on his bed...but that's about it.

We've always had a standing rule, though....bed time friends stay on the bed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009