Could my son have an earache?

My son has had a cold and recently he has started tugging on his right ear. I've heard this can be a sign of an ear infection but he doesn't have a fever and it's not red. Could it still be an earache or is he just playing with his ear?

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be an ear infection. I'd have it checked out.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It's probably an ear infection's beginning stages. The natural way of taking car of any infection, and works bigger wonders on ear infections is to go to your nearest Whole Foods, or store of that sort, and get some liquid garlic drops. Drop 2-3 drops per ear, plug with cotton balls. Do this at least twice a day, but as many times as you want, and in one day, you'll see a big difference. If the problem persists, see a pediatrician for sure!! Good luck!!
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 12:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• The outer part of the ear doesn't really turn red and not all ear infections cause a fever. My one son who had them a LOT as an infant NEVER had a fever with any of his ear infections.

The cold combined with the tugging warrants getting him checked in my opinion.

Ear infections are BEHIND the eardrum. Anything dropped into the ear canal may help soothe the pain and discomfort, but it will do nothing to cure the ear infection.

If it's not "that bad" the doctor may take a "wait and see" approach, holding off on antibiotics for a few days to see if he can fight it off by himself. However, if it's a full fledged infection, he'll probably prescribe antibiotics.

Keep in mind that with the congestion, it could simply be discomfort because his ear feels plugged. Still...better safe than sorry. I'd have it checked.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree completely with TiccledBlue! Just wanted to give you some confirmation!
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 1:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My dd has had quite a few ear infections and tugging on the ear is always my first indiccation. No fever no fussiness and i would take her in and sure enough ear infection. One time i took her in because she was pulling her right ear really really bad and making a face while she did it and when they looked her right ear was fine but the left was really infected!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 2:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree. My son has had 2 double ear infections and 2 ear infections. I wish the body part in distress would turn green then you'd know! But, take him in to be on the safe side. Ear infections are nothing to mess around with, in my opinion. Good luck!
    polishprincess6

Answer by polishprincess6 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009