What's the best way to wean from attachment style parenting?

I am taking an 8 day vacation once my daughter turns one (in 2 months) and I'm nervous about it, even though she'll be with my husband, her dad. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I literally "wear" my daughter. I'm still breastfeeding and plan to continue when I get back from my vacation (I will have a 2 week supply of milk for dad while I'm away). However, just recently I was admitted into the hospital for a blood clot in my lung and my daughter went on a hunger strike. She wouldn't drink anything, luckily I was only in the hospital for 2 days, but with my vacation right around the corner, I need help "weaning" without traumatizing her.

Aishia

Asked by Aishia at 11:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have her dad start wearing her NOW as much as possible and taking over as many feedings as possible. Will he be staying home while you are away or will she be going to a sitter/daycare? If he's staying home, then you need to start letting him takes care of her as much as possible - and remember, you're not weaning her from attachment parenting, just from you and just temporarily. Hopefully, your husband agrees that attachment parenting applies to BOTH parents, not just you.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• At that age our boys were taking a cup, maybe try getting her to take her milk out of a cup. She's eating food right? Still nurse her, just less frequently. Our boys thought a cup was fun so give it a try and be consistent... GL
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 12:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If you must wean or simply if you just want to wean then start the process now...
    Drop 1 feeding per day per week so you can do it as gradually as possible.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Attachment parenting isn't something you wean from it is a life long commitment to your children and not just something you do while they are infants/toddlers. I hope your DH is on board with the attachment parenting life style because if he isn't this could be difficult. let him start taking over things throughout the day now and it will go easier.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2009