Ladies who have had post-partum depression

I've got a neice that's concerned with post-partum depression. She has a 4-year old, and when her dd was born, she had a bad case. She just got married to a really great guy, and he wants to have a kid of his own. She's not worried about being a mommy again, she's just worried about getting the baby blues again.

I had my own experience with ppd after #1, but I was fine after #2. What are your experiences with ppd? Did you get it every time? Was it a one time situation? I just want to kinda give her an idea of what the norm is.

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nodding at both answers. Have her talk to her doctor. They can actually treat her immediatly with hormones to help with PPD.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I had PPD with both of mine, but it manifested differently each time. #1 was definitely worse, but with #2 it was milder and I was prepared for it so it didn't blind side me like the first time did. Have her discuss it with her doctor and make plans in advance so that if she has it with #2 they can deal with it right away.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I had PPD and it's very different from the baby blues. I do believe I had it with my two other pregnancies but it was my last that I really broke down and realized something wasn't right. I truly can't say if you get it every time, I just don't know. That's something to ask your OB, Psychiatrist and or Therapist about. I'm glad I got the courage and finally admitted something was wrong and got the help. I was on the breaking point of hurting myself and my kids. She should really talk to a professional about it. GL.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2009