Does anyone elses mother drive them crazy when it comes to your kids and how you raise them mine drives me insane

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• is this my daughter? LOL I mean well. I just want to help. Actually, just thank mom for her ideas and tell her you want to do it your own way. That's what my dd's do when I butt in

Answer by admckenzie at 12:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm sure this will be a total downer, but I wish my mom was still around to drive me crazy....and boy did she! lol But I miss her like crazy.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Nope, my mom isn't a problem. Sure she has a lot of advice to offer, some good and some bad but she always talks to me about it when my daughter is out of the room.
    My MIL on the other hand... she's constantly directing comments to my 3 year old. It's so annoying.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm sure my daughter would be thinking the same as you. But she ran away from home before she finished high school, ran around with a bunch of no-gooders and kids younger than her, got involved with a guy she fell madly in love with, travelled across the country with him, got pregnant and left him when he told her to get an abortion, and finally turned to us when she found herself homeless, moneyless, and friendless.
    She has been in our home since October, my granddaughter was born in February, and she is an extremely lazy person. We buy every single thing she and my GD need and want, she has until the end of this month to get a job, but she turned down 2 job offers, she hands me my GD so she can go online or texting on her cell or go back to bed.
    So yes, I tell her how that sweet child should be taken care of and parented. My daughter has the gall to say that my GD will never be punished and never be told no. She's nuts!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes!!! lol I know she means well and she only does it because she loves my daughter, but it gets very frustrating when I'm in the middle of disciplining my child and my mom has to but in. Or when I have a rule for my daughter and my mom wants to disregard it cuz she thinks it's stupid. For example I say my 2 1/2 year old shouldn't be given gum. She's only gonna end up swallowing it anyway. There is no need. Well my mom thinks that a little piece is not gonna hurt. I'm sure she's right but can you please respect my authority. So i hear you. Hang in there. Maybe there should be a group for mom's who's mom drives them crazy! lol
    Bobafett

Answer by Bobafett at 11:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2010