Should my 3 year old and 8 month old share a room?

We are moving to another 3 bedroom house,nothing smaller (actually the rooms are larger) but I do in home child care and I would LOVE to set up one room as a nursery/ play room.So my possibilities are either have my boys share a room or have my infant sons room also set up as a playroom...suggestions?I have one room way big enough for 2 beds.

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 12:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does your 8 month old sleep all night to not wake the 3 year old if he gets up? Can your 3 year old sleep through anything? If so then why not. If you notice they are tired, or not sleeping well then put the baby back in his own room. Its perfectly fine for kids to share a room as long as they are not loosing sleep.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It's up to you. You need to weigh the pros and cons.

One con....they are going to share more colds and other illnesses.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i would worry about more sleeping schedules than illnesses because they'll pass it anyway. i would before even making the change get them ont he same schedule and see how it works.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• my first thought is they difference in toys.
    there are alot of things a three year old can play with that an 8 month old shouldn't be anywhere near.
    altho im sure you're plenty aware of this, as you run home child care.
    but thats the only thing that would make me nervous.
    boomfox

Answer by boomfox at 5:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Have you thought of making the 3 year old's room into the play area so the toys (choking hazards) wouldn't be an issue, nor the nap-times? Can you put the dresser into the closet to make more floor area? And put the baby into the smallest room since he will only be sleeping in there. (No one plays in our LO's room, not enough room.)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I think it would be fine. My boys are 1 and 3 and I am planning to move them into a room together after we move next year for that same reason so we can have a designated playroom (and hopefully reclaim the living room area from having ALL the toys in it, ugh). I would maybe suggest getting a white noise machine for nightimes too... I keep one in my 1 year olds room now and it really helps keep him from waking up at every little noise.
    CorgiMomma

Answer by CorgiMomma at 7:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Long as neither kid wakes the other kid, what's the big deal? People with large families and small houses never even ask this question because it doesn't occur to them that there's anything wrong with sharing rooms -- because there IS nothing wrong with it.

Besides, share a room = learn to share other things. How's that bad?
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 7:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• both o f my boys share the same room. my older son will be 2 in june and my youngest is going to be 6 months at the end of this month
    number1mommy78

Answer by number1mommy78 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If they are both boys, I do not see a problem with it. If one was a girl and oen was a boy, then I would have to say. No.
    Anonymous

• My kids share a room, we gave them the master bedroom(cause it is the biggest room)!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2009