my Havana just turned two, i'm amazed at all her improvement

One to two she stood up at 11 months started cruising talked a few words she goes to OT - greatly improved -speech improved and also sign language congenitally she has improved by understanding and following directions. plays better with toys knows how to get out of couch or chair alone no falling but the walking is still big problem, the label therapist gave her is low muscle tone her core is very weak so she works 3 times a week now on pushing heavy cart with balls and walks while she does that up and down a little hill she walks if she puts all her weigh forward she can take a few steps she can bend, the other day i was just looking cp and found mild cerebral palsy and be a cause to the low muscle tone. no doctor has suggested it yet there we no problems at birth at all. i learned i t can even happen in utero. anyone can help me here? do any of you have a child with very mild cp how was it discovered?
child walks?

youmakemydreams

Asked by youmakemydreams at 12:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I had a student who was diagnosed with mild CP when she was 10. It is definitelypossible for doctors to miss it. I would talk to the doctor and the PT about it.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Cerebral Palsy is an umbrella term. In a very big nutshell, any kind of permanent brain damage to the developmental centers in the brain is a type of cerebral palsy.

My son was just diagnosed with "low motor tone". We're supposed to do an MRI to see if anything shows up "in the white matter" in his brain. If so, well, there's nothing we can do about it, but we'll have a cause.

Basically, we're looking at a form of CP. He is awkward, uncoordinated and some of his other issues are a very good mimic of ASD. He is receiving speech therapy, OT and is up for a PT eval soon (they haven't called me to set it up yet)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My cousin had a mild case of cp but if you seen her you would never know she has it.

I also had a cousin that had severe cp and there was a huge difference in the 2 my cousin with the severe cp was in  a wheel chair and could only say mom and dad and was totally dependent on others. May she rest in peace.

It happens when theres lack of blood flow or oxygen to the fetus.

Glad your dd is doing good!

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My son was diagnosed when he was 9 months old. We knew that he had brain damage when he was only a few weeks old. It was seen on the ultrasound at the NICU.

His twin sister did not suffer any brain damage. She has low muscle tone and is in PT, OT, and DT weekly. She walked at 11 months adjusted age. She is pretty much caught up to her peers but does need work on her core muscle strength. That is why she is still in therapy. We are not concerned with cp at all with her because we know she has no brain damage.

From what the therapists have told me, kids can have various tone issues that have nothing to do with cp.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009