i need help on this one.

i was having a garage sale this weekend, cause i needed some money for some bills, and yesterday i made enough for things i needed. so today would of just been some extra cash in my pocket. anything i didnt sale today wouldve just went to goodwill when i was done.
well, this lady came by and was looking at the baby clothes and she mentioned to me that is was for kids in haiti, thats where shes from, from 3 mths to 18 yrs old. so i gave her all the baby and maternity and little marmaid crib set for free to help the children. then she wanted my $200 cooler, and that made me question if she was lying to me. she had no business card, she was driving old people around, its her job, and she was kind of rude.
did she pull one over me? do you think she lied? my sister thinks she scammed me over.
but how could you tell???

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 12:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• No good deed goes unpunished, huh? Yes, you probably got scammed but your heart was in the right place. It's a shame how we're all scared to try to do anything nice for people because there's so darn many cons out there. I've gotten to the point where if I want to do something charitable, I donate through an organization. Almost every other time I've tried to help a stranger out of the kindness of my heart, it turns out they didn't really need the help, or were totally ungrateful. So just to make sure that my giving goes to people who actually need it, I do it through a charity. Don't get bummed about this though--just know you tried to do a good thing, and be more cautious next time.
    Anonymous

• If she was truly there to help the kids she would have thanked you for the items and still offered up some form of payment. If she is asking for more stuff she is probably going to have a garage sale of her own and will resell all your stuff at double the price.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree with brailynsmama
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 12:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• i agree with the ladies
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 12:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• geez. that really sucks. the only thing that bothers me about it was the ariel crib set. it was expensive, and it was my daughters....it was hard for me to give that up for sale in the first place....but i didnt need it...and if i knew she scammed me over that, i wouldve kept that had given it to someone who was having a girl...
    gosh that bothers me.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 12:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You heart was true when you were donating them to her and her cause. You were going to give them Goodwill anyway. I don't know if you were scammed or not. You never will know for sure. So, put that aside and know that you did good. Donating them to her was a very good thing to do. Feel good about your decistion. Focus on the positive. :)
    jewelrylady98

Answer by jewelrylady98 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about whether or not she scammed you... you did a good deed for the day and keep it at that. WAY TO GO MOMMA!!!!!!

I try not to worry about that kind of stuff when I do things like you just did... I pat myself on the back and say WAY TO GO!

In life I'm sure you will do more good for those that you can just don't look back and worry about what they are now doing with the good you just did for them.. ha ha sorry if that don't make sense..

Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 1:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• You did the right thing I think. If she lied to you then it is her issue and God will punish her as she needs to be. But you were just trying to do a good thing.
    ladyluck09

Answer by ladyluck09 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• she is a flea marketer or perpetual yard saler herself. sorry you got took, now you know.
    Anonymous

• thanks. i feel so much better about it. =D
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 7:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2009