8yrs old and married

I heard on the radio yesturday that a guy in a foreign country Married his 8yr old daughter to a man because he owed him money and was not able to pay him back .My question is .How is that things like that are still allowed ?where woman are killed because they are raped i guess there its mans law

hush84

Asked by hush84 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have always liked this thought: You have to see the world to understand it. Didn't Jerry Lee Lewis marry his 13 y.o. cousin less than 50 years ago...in this very country? Great Balls of Fire, indeed!
    Anonymous

• i noe this girl from africa that lives out here now.shes my age and her parents sold her to a 45 year old man an they moved out here and he beats her and stuff.shes scared to leave, but i was like sweety out here he can get arrested this is AMERICA not AFRICA.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 12:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• That is sad, but happens. Goes back to human trafficking issue.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to the rest of the world. People sit here and whine and complain about how horrible are and that this country is so bad blah blah blah but look at what's going on everywhere else? We don't have that going on here...at least not that anyone knows about because they would go to jail. Its sad that that goes on but its true none the less. And it makes me realize what a great country I live in to where I don't have to worry about things like that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Different cultures still exist even though they live in America. Problem is they are breaking the law. I hope they press charges against all involved.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Different culture, different believes. It may not sound or be right to us, but that is their belief system. It shouldn't be allowed but I wouldn't be fighting for another country's issues when there are so many issues in our country that need to be worked on.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• It was an 8 year old girl she probly hasnt even had her perio she is still a child .WHat is that how can fathers do that regardless of the culture i think that is being a bad father he sold his daughter .Because he was broke what is that seriouslly
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I agree america we have diferent cultures and fathers from diferent cultures and parents protect their children not use them bottem line .If a mother did this it would look bad but because a man did it its ok
    Anonymous