I don't get this at all!

I was looking around on craigslist and this guy posted in the babies section, needing free items (everything) for a 6 month old. He claimed he recently gotten custody but could not afford anything. What judge in their right mind would award custody to anyone who couldn't properly provide for the child in the first place?
Don't get me wrong, I sympathize with the guy, I just don't get why he was awarded custody when he can't afford to care for the child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have no clue. They usually do a home study first to make sure the home is child safe and that he has the things for a child. He is probably looking for free hand outs so they don't have to buy things. I have seen girls post on there as well asking for items but its more like a shower registry or something. I offered out a bunch of clothes to one girl and she asked what brand they were because she only likes Carters and name brand clothing. So I keep my clothes because beggars can't be choosy. I have been asked for high chairs and everything but only if they are Eddie Bauer and they want it all FREE. I feel for him if its true but they have agencies for that so he should call his case worker.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• He's probably simply unprepared and we all know how expensive baby stuff is especially when you have to find it all at one time. It's possible the alternative was worse ...maybe the mom was a crack head. Who knows?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I don't know hun that's kinda wierd and as for me I wouldn't give out anything to him.
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 12:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If the mom was a screw up and had the kid taken away and the dad was willing to take full custody--isn't it better for the child to be with a parent than in the system? Regardless of income? We aren't rich but as the someone that helped create a being I have a love for my kids that NO ONE ELSE could ever give my kids.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• I'm the OP and I understand baby stuff is expensive. Trust me, I've had 3. But you'd think that if they were going to award him custody, they'd give him proper resources for things . (point him in the direction of charities, churches, etc)...they just gave him custody and said "have a nice life!"
    What if the baby gets sick (sure he can go to the er) and needs EXPENSIVE medicine and can't pay for it?
    Anonymous

• But then again, its craigslist and we all know that place is known for people taking free items and reselling them for a profit. There has been ALOT of pregnant women looking for sympathy. I remember last year a lady claimed her friend from Mexico was pregnant and had NOTHING and was looking for free stuff. I sympathized, sure. But, I asked a shit load of questions. I asked if I could meet with her friend and everything before I give her anything..Ironically...her friend was in MEXICO and wouldn't be back for a while and she was the one taking the donations until her friend got back.
    LOL....needlesstosay that weirdo didn't get anything from me.
    Kick rocks.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• A lot of people are schemers on CL so be careful.

Anonymous

• A lot of people post for free stuff on freecycle too. There is a scam going around to post for high-end baby stuff, which they then turn around and re-sell.

In my old neighborhood, people would hang out in the grocery store parking lot and ask people to buy diapers or formula for their babies. The cashier told me (and everyone in line) that as soon as you gave the people the diapers and left, they would return the diapers to the store for cash.

I don't trust anyone who I don't know personally. I'd rather donate my stuff to a non-profit thrift shop or give them to a friend.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Who knows, maybe the mother was using drugs and also did not have money? Or maybe he really does have money, but just likes getting free stuff :P
    tattoomommy85

Answer by tattoomommy85 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• perhaps he spent all his money on a good lawyer to get full custody of his child.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009