No poop....

My 4 day old has only taken one poop since having her home.....plenty of wet diapers should i take her to the er?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal for going without a BM up to two weeks but doesn't mean it will. Call the pedi first. But I can't remember if it's in breastfed babies or formula.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Well, if your 4 day old hasn't had but one stool, that isn't so abnormal....my first took five days and my second took 10 days. If you are feeding them a formula containing iron, then you can probably expect them to take a while to have a stool. Their little bodies are pretty efficient and are using up just about all the nutrient that they get when feeding. The only thing to excrete (because they are also burning fat) is water. So after two weeks, if they haven't had a stool, I would go to the pediatrician. Also, if your baby seems comfortable, then usually they are comfortable. Enjoy your new little one!!!
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 1:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• My son's newborn daughter went for five days after her initial bowel movement. They were understandably concerned ... this was the solution !

With the baby on a changing table or otherwise in a diaper-changing set-up, he took a comfortably-warm wet washcloth and applied it to her bottom in the same way is if one were washing up. This stimulated her anus muscles - both the warmth and the massaging - and she had one VERY long bowel movement.

Newborn kittens and puppies always need this stimulation from their mother in order to go.

Try it ... perhaps it will do the trick !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Its breast fed babies. My baby has never been normal. If the baby hasnt gone for a week or two and is screaming and screaming for no reason, then worry about it
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• A baby doesn't need to poop daily.
    If your baby is breastfed they can go up to 2 weeks without pooping! Although I never let my son go longer than a week.
    If you baby is formula fed they can poop every 2-3 days and it's normal.
    If after those time frames you still haven't seen a poop call your pediatrician and see what they would like you to do... they might have you try something like 1/2 oz of pear juice to get things going.
    I would avoid someplace like the ER unless you are VERY worried... you don't want to expose your newborn to all those germs. A phone call would be best (even on the weekend and after hours you can call a clinic and stay on the line and get someone to page the on call pediatrician)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• If you are exclusively breastfeeding this could be a sign that your baby is not getting enough milk. Once your baby is a few weeks old and it is clear that weight gain is on track then it may not be a concern, but for a 4 day old EBF it needs to be looked into.
    "Rarely, a healthy, well-nourished newborn with infrequent stooling will have weight gain within the acceptable range. The BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK states newborns may have a 5% to 7% weight loss up to the fourth day after birth, then gain 4-8 oz (113-227 grams) or more per week. If a newborn is spacing bowel movements days apart rather than hours apart, each bowel movement would be very large. Since experts list infrequent newborn stooling as a "red flag" symptom requiring professional evaluation, confirming the infant's overall health and monitoring weight gain with the health care provider are prudent precautions."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Cont: Go to "How can I tell if my baby is getting enough milk?" at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

You can call a local LLL leader on the phone and she will help you for free: Find a local LLL Leader

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2009